Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 16, 2019, 04:24:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardwood G Mountain Ocarina  (Read 15831 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:29:24 am »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own a Hardwood G Mountain Ocarina... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? What do you dislike? How does it sound? Help others know if this would be a good ocarina for them.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:04:08 am by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Ric
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:34 pm »

It comes in GREEN???!!!!

That's a beautiful intrument.

I absolutely love the look and feel of my Hardwood G Ocarina.  It is silky smooth and the weight is just right.  Mine is red with a thin tan layer. 

Musically, I don't get quite as pleasing a sound out of it as the polycarbonate one I gave to my daughter, but I suspect it's my fault, not the intrument's.  The mouthpiece is different, and I don't think I've got it quite figured out yet.

Most of the music I'm playing right now are Hymns, and I suspect they're more suited to the Key of C MO, so that could certainly be a major factor in my perception.  The tone improves after polishing the windway...but I find myself afraid that I'm polishing it too much, and I can't explain why it would seem to need it more often than the poly.

It is a little smaller than the poly, it slides easily into a holster for a small LED flashlight that was a very tight fit for the polycarbonate model.  Perhaps the looser fit allows more dust or lint to make it's way inside?  I don't know.

I just had a thought, it may be that the different shape of the mouthpiece causes me to allow more saliva into the windway?  Seems more logical than the size theory anyway.

In any case, I am EXTREMELY happy to own this Ocarina.  Mountain Ocarinas is a fantastic company with wonderful products and exceptional service.  (And a pretty awesome and supportive community of customers too.)

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:49:53 pm »

I just had a thought, it may be that the different shape of the mouthpiece causes me to allow more saliva into the windway?  Seems more logical than the size theory anyway.

That's part of it.  The other part is the fact that the mouthpiece being slightly less tapered may cause you to let your lower lip and tongue to get too close to the windway aperture.  Actually, come to think of it, that's probably also the cause of getting more saliva in there.  You have think about opening your mouth a little wider than what you're used to, so that the mouthpiece goes in a little further, and your tongue and lower lip stay away from the aperture.  Do that and you'll hear the sound clear right up.  At first it'll feel like a big adjustment, but in fact it's tiny.

ubizmo

Ric
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:06:55 pm »

Ubi, thank you.  I'll give it a try!

Amiable

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »

(Before I put myself on the waiting list, is there anyone here fortunate enough to be able to provide a comparison between the Warmstone and Hardwood G ocarinas?)

AzKiteMan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:19:07 am »

My, My, you make me want to Splurge On Ocarinas! Green Hardwood G, Black and Jade WarmStones C + G, If only i had the money...

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
Amiable

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:02:45 am »

After almost 2 years with the polycarbonates, I became confident that MOs are instruments that I'll likely play for the next 5-10 years and made the splurge for a hardwood-G.  The one that caught my eye was a walnut with an oak inlay.

After placing the order, Ms Ahrens quickly wrote to confirm the ocarina (since each hardwood ocarina is different).  It arrived equally quickly across the border.  The ocarina comes with the regular stuffing (fingering chart, some starter songs et cetera), and a little black carry bag. 

The ocarina itself (which I'll call "Walnut") is a thing of beauty.  I was pleasantly surprised at its look - the picture didn't do it justice.  It's very similar to a poly MO in size (marginally smaller) and shape (more on this later).  Walnut is marginally heavier than a poly, in a way that it feels solid (I find polys flimsy).

Unlike a polycarbonate, where there is a (relatively) hard bevel at the mouthpiece, Walnut is smooth and rounded.  It took a day or two to get used to this - as a former flute player, I tend to play with tightly pressed lips - and with Walnut my lower lips sometimes closes the windway without me feeling it happen.  The thumb-holes are flat instead of dimpled, and it's a good thing.  The walnut is flat on the bottom instead of the shallow bevel, but this is just a cosmetic difference.

The difference in sound between a poly-G and Walnut is not obvious to me.  The difference, if any, is subtle and overwhelmed by the acoustic differences in the environment.  I play mostly outdoors, and playing on a moist day instead of a dry day have much more effect on the sound than the actual ocarina itself.

Since I love introducing ppl to MO, I carry polycarbonates around and sometimes lend or gift them out.  Walnut is special and I'm happy to have an instrument to cherish and "build stories with".  ("And for the last twenty years I have been over the world with a yoga mat, a sketchbook, and this wooden ocarina...")  Thanks for making these wonderful little guys Karl.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: