Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 21, 2014, 12:48:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardwood C Mountain Ocarina  (Read 8772 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own a Hardwood C Mountain Ocarina... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? What do you dislike? How does it sound? Help others know if this would be a good ocarina for them.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:01:47 AM by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »

The hardwood C mountain ocarina was the first high end MO I received. I love the mellow woody tone and the look of it is very impressive. Mine has a strip of purpleheart in the middle which looks very awesome. It's got a nice solid feel and it had some weight to it as well! The tone is very unique compared to the polycarbonate and has a certain woody tone which is unmistakeable. This is an excellent ocarina, I have nothing but praise for it because it looks, feels, and sounds sooo nice! Trust me, if you buy this one you will be very impressed! Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »

I own a hardwood C ocarina, and it's the one I play the most.  I also have polycarbonate C and G Mountains ocarinas, and a soprano (C) clay transverse ocarina.

The hardwood C MO (henceforth HCMO) weighs 3.4 ounces, according to the scientists at Ocarina Headquarters, which is one ounce more than the polycarbonate C.  For the rest of the world, that's 96.4 grams for the HCMO, 68 grams for the PCMO.  To me it feels like the difference in weight is greater, but the HCMO is by no means too heavy to wear on the neck cord, in my opinion.

If you do wear the HCMO on the neck cord, expect to be asked about it by strangers.  Repeatedly.  No one ever asked me about the PCMO, but the HCMO draws a lot of attention and questions.  The glossy polished hardwood is very striking and beautiful.  People like to hold it and they comment on the solid feel of it.

The shape of the HCMO is slightly different from the PCMO.  The PCMO "mouthpiece" (not a separate part, of course) is more tapered; the HCMO is slightly more blunt.  If you are used to the PCMO you will need to adapt to this difference.  Your mouth must be in a slightly more open position to get a clear sound on the HCMO.  You'll adapt to it in a few minutes.  The tail end of the HCMO is also not tapered.  If you are used to supporting that PCMO with a finger on the tapered part of the tail end (I don't) then you'll need to get used to this.

The HCMO has a slightly "softer" or "mellower" sound than the PCMO.  It's difficult to describe musical tones in English (but not Italian, I'm sure), but there is definitely an audible difference.  I would say that it's analogous to, but not as obvious as, the difference in sound between plastic and wooden recorders--probably not a useful comparison for a lot of people.  I think the difference is noticeable mainly to people who play or listen to MOs a lot.

Although I haven't tried thowing it at a wall yet, the HCMO feels extremely durable, and I'm not the least bit hesitant to take it anywhere.  I don't worry about dropping it or getting rain on it.  I haven't played it in the shower, but I can't swear that that will never happen.

The HCMO is not fully lined with polycarbonate.  Only the inner upper surface is polycarbonate.  This piece incorporates the fipple and tone hole.  It does not extend out to the sides and is therefore not visible from the side; the hardwood pieces are joined all the way around, so the polycarbonate is only visible at the tone holes and fipple and, if you look closely, the windway aperture.  On my HCMO the polycarbonate is black.

This is a great instrument for anyone who likes the sound, playability, and durability of Mountain ocarinas, and also wants an instrument that is beautiful to look at.

ubi

ubizmo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »

There is now a video version of the above review at http://youtube.com/watch?v=DHbNo0TZMaQ

Spatolo

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »

There is now a video version of the above review at http://youtube.com/watch?v=DHbNo0TZMaQ

That is GREAT. I think you are doing a big favor to potential customers, and to the whole mountain ocarina community too as a side effect (the more we are, the better for everyone).

Congratulations Ubizmo.

ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »

Thanks, spatolo, but it occurred to me--too late--that the review is too much about the MO's structural properties and not enough about its musical properties.  I don't even say what the range of the instrument is, or even play a full scale.  I'm thinking that maybe I need to post a "sequel" with a few more examples of what it sounds like.  What do you think?

ubi

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

Ubizmo,
either way, I think both types of reviews are great and some may cater to certain personalities more than  others. Good one! Peace, Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »

Wait. Wait, wait.

Too bad I can't find my C ocarina now, but I have the strong feel that the layout of mine is different from that of yours - I'm talking about the POLYCARBONATE model.

I think mine is very symmetric and even the back side has the same shape of the front one, to the point that I often put it in mouth on the wrong side, from the back. This is also the reason why I founded way more confortable to use the pinky to support the ocarina; there way more room for the finger.

Am I dreaming or there are different layouts for the C polycarbonate ocarina?
Cliff? Karl?

Thanks!

Cliff

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Am I dreaming or there are different layouts for the C polycarbonate ocarina?

The polycarbonate shape has never changed. It has always been the same.

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Spatolo

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »

The polycarbonate shape has never changed. It has always been the same.

And I stopped with heavy drugs years ago.

Sorry about the delirium  Lips sealed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: