Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
September 30, 2014, 04:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Polycarbonate G Mountain Ocarina  (Read 22869 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own a Polycarbonate G Mountain Ocarina... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? What do you dislike? How does it sound? Help others know if this would be a good ocarina for them.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:16:02 AM by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

This was the first mountain ocarina I received, and I got the ocarina fever and haven't looked back since! This instrument sounds great, crisp, clear, and very light...great to wear on the included necklace. 8 tone holes on top and two thumbholes on the bottom. Easy to play and you'll be making great sounding music before you know it!
    These are soooo sturdy, I've dropped them dozens of times and they just bounce! Try this on a more expensive clay ocarina.. this can get very expensive and messy! Plus they aren't hurt if moisture gets in them, unlike a lot of wooden or reed instruments like harmonicas, melodicas etc.. Sweet clear tone with lots of volume projection. The real plus is the transverse fingering, which is easy on the wrists and hands and allows you to play for hours at a time with not fatigue! Where else can you get a professional playing and sounding instrument for less than the price of a trip to the movies? This is a great ocarina and I suggest you try it and see for yourself! If you don't like it, send it back for a full refund! I doubt you will though! Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
rweagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

I can only echo what Dan said.  The Poly G was my second ocarina I ever purchased, and I now have two, explained elsewhere on the forum.  The Poly G goes everywhere with me, and is my favorite for playing faster more expressive tunes on.  I can attest do the durabilty of this instrument,  with three kids wanting to play it all the time, it gets a lot of abuse.  just make sure you keep the windway polished.
Info here
Because of the ease of use of this instrument, it is the only one I've stuck with for over two years and counting.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Secretagentdan

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

Well put man! Three  kids wow! I haven't started yet.. My wife is 25 and I'm almost 31 so we've got some time! Do your kids like you're ocarina playing? I think you are very good! Peace, Dan

rweagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »

Well put man! Three  kids wow! I haven't started yet.. My wife is 25 and I'm almost 31 so we've got some time! Do your kids like you're ocarina playing? I think you are very good! Peace, Dan

I actually have four but the littlest is only 6 months old.  Given time she too will be wanting to puff on the ocarinas.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Secretagentdan

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »

That's cool man! Sounds like you are passing down the ocarina fever! Dan

Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »

I got the poly C and G at the same time. I play the G mainly on the run, because it is smaller, and I love its crisp and clear sound. It's really a great instrument!

Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »

This is one of the clevest (?) instrument man had ever invented.

Portable; being little, light, and STURDY as a rock; fully chromatic, thus being very versatile, and cheap! It's only limitation, as with any ocarina, is it's range, which is of one octave plus one third; but can be "overplayed" with advanced tricks discussed on the forum. Other ocarinas suffer of the same range limitation while not allowing the range to be extended as the mountain ones.

This is the instrument I used to introduce a friend to music and also, I can't imagine a better one for this purpose.
Of course if your friend is a lazy ass like mine there's no beautiful instrument that can helps; I will ask Cliff to open a section to review friends and I'll complain about him there.

Sorry for the digression. This was my first ocarina and I love it! While I wanted to "upgrade" to high level ocarinas only for aesthetic reasons, I still bring this with me when I go onto the mountain: it's light, undestructible and cheap. It's also a BATTLE instrument! But most of it all, it's a BEAUTIFUL instrument.

Secretagentdan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »

Review of Mountain Ocarinas' Polycarbonate C and G ocarinas!

Just felt like doing a review video of my first 2 ocarinas from MO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0FXW_CdiQA

Spatolo

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »

Great video review!

I'm noticing that you and ubizmo and karl all speak a very good english, I guess why

Secretagentdan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »

I become an airhead on camera when I have to talk though! When I'm playing music I'm totally confident but when I have to talk it is hard for me to make it all come together. I think it's because I'm obsessing about the fact that the camera is recording. Web cam fright I guess! Smiley Peace, Dan

kissing
Active Newbie

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »

I was informally "teaching" the primary school kid who I gave my Poly G Mountain ocarina to.
This was his first time being given any "lesson" on the ocarina.

But as we were playing some simple tunes together, it suddenly occured to him (and me) that the fingerings of the Mountain ocarina is very close to the Recorder (including the left pinky that normally remains idle) !

This made the conversion to ocarinas a much easier job for that young person.
I think this is a subtle bonus for Mountain ocs. There is less confusion in fingerings for people (especially children) who may already have been taught the recorder.

Other than that, the sheer indestructibility of the Mountain ocarina also makes it ideal for him (who has some younger brothers who play rough).

jtungyep
Active Newbie

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

Actually SecretAgentDan, you seem very relaxed when you're speaking on cam! And coherent. Great review and a good promotion for the instruments. The poly G is such a handy little instrument: I use it now instead of a pitch pipe for "a cappella" singing groups (so long as you remember it's in 'G'!).

Also good for rounding up the (three) dogs when we're out for a walk in the countryside!

John

Secretagentdan

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »

John,
  Thanks for the good word! appreciate it. I'm going to do a hardwood c video and a warmstone G very soon when I get some time. PEace, Dan

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »

Just got thinking about it, why is the neck strap so close to your mouth on all of the MO's?

It's kinda annoying having it that close to my mouth when I'm playing it how about considering fixing it to the other end or to the side even??

Just a thought,

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: