Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 19, 2019, 02:33:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Polycarbonate G Mountain Ocarina  (Read 39223 times)
ThereIsNoSpoon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 06:39:22 am »

My opinion about the Polycarbonate G Mountain Ocarina:

I think it is a great instrument. Good price, and plays the diatonic scale easily. Not to mention that it is very portable. One thing I did have a temporary problem with at first was the weight. See, I'm used to heavy clay ocarinas, so when I held the polycarbonate G, it felt extremely light to me, which made it hard to play at first. However, I soon got used to it, and was playing just fine! I might order the learning curriculum and the Celtic songs book soon, but I am already progressing well right now. Thank you for offering an affordable and nearly (or is it completely?) unbreakable 10-hole inline ocarina!

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »

Just got thinking about it, why is the neck strap so close to your mouth on all of the MO's?

It's kinda annoying having it that close to my mouth when I'm playing it how about considering fixing it to the other end or to the side even??

Just a thought,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I appreciate all your helpful posts.  I've never heard of what you are describing here.  Do you still feel this way?  When I play the ocarina, the neckcord isn't even an issue, so I am very curious.  Would you mind describing the annoying aspect a bit more?

Thanks!

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:58:32 pm »

Its taken some getting use to all the others I've worn had the mouth piece on the opposite side from the neck strap I had gotten so use to that, so when I started wearing my MO's around I noticed that I would try to flip them up the same way to play and end up with the wrong end out of habit, its take me some getting use to but im getting there.

The Hardwood/Warmstone mix is great Lovely sound! I get people asking about it at work, then again I also get some people asking me to Play the Macarana(sp?) on my Ocarina and that gets abit annoying but hey.

I think it would be a nice option for the High end MO's to be able to get one with the neck strap on the other end though.

All the very best!

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:00 am »

Hi Dave, here are some thoughts on the neckcord issue. After you hear what I  have to say, you still might not agree, and that's okay with me!  I just want to point out why we chose to put the neckcords where we have.

I view putting the neckcord on the mouthpiece end as a distinct advantage. It's actually a big deal to me. Here is why.

When I wear my ocarina around my neck, it hangs in perfect position, ready for me to play at a moment's notice. No flipping required!

Along those same lines, there is another reason that is perhaps even more important. In some of my videos, I mention that I sometimes do fingering dexterity exercises while I drive, watch a movie, hike, etc.  I understand that not everyone will get into fingering exercises, nor does everyone need to, but these can make a big difference in developing agile, crisp, quick fingerings and ornaments and in "becoming one with your ocarina,"Wink so that your ocarina feels balanced and like part of your hands.  With the neckcord up at the blowing end, the ocarina hangs perfectly oriented for such exercises.  Because it's there, I'll occasionly even do a few quick one-handed rolls, etc., while jogging up a single flight of stairs in our home. It's that easy! If my ocarina were hanging upside down, it would not only bug me but it would impede me from doing fingering dexterity exercises in such a natural way.

By the way, for those of you who are interested, I think fingering dexterity exercises work best in spurts or in phases. In other words, for a day, or a weekend, or a week you do it a lot, and maybe the next week you give it a rest.  I don't want you think that I advocate fingering your ocarina during every waking hour! It's just a nice exercise that you can fit into life, no matter how busy you get.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:00:22 am by Karl » Logged
armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:09 am »

Ah now I understand better the Feng Shui of the MO design.

And I find myself using it as a kind of worry stone now, but I do agree that It may not be good to do it all the time as with anything you need breaks. Wish there was another name for the exercise. Dexterity exercise. 

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Kissaki

"I put the 'K' in "Kwality""

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:41 am »

I like the current neckcord placement for MOs, I find it feels more natural than most pendant ocarinas

Wake of Eden
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 04:01:51 am »

I also like the current neckcord placement. I think if it were place at the other end it would make it feel clumsy, or in the way somehow, after flipping your Ocarina around to play it.

BeRightBart
Active Newbie

You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »

What i like from the Ply g (and the other ones in g as well, but i dont own one of them) : they sound very happy!
And the Poly C (an from what I heared, the hardwood and warmstone and aluminium too) has a very nice tone!
the only thing  what i don't like, is that the Poly C has only 9 holes. I'm missing that tenth hole for my left pinkie

That's it folks. except for my compliment to the makers, since this are wonderful instruments!

Umm Hi Im Jack
Active Newbie

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:49 pm »

I got mine just over a week ago and absolutely love it. I started playing the ocarina about a month ago, so I was pretty familiar with the transverse, but this instrument just opened a new world for me. It was a completely different experience, yet totally easy to adapt to and play. In the short time I've already been able to play some of my favorite songs by ear and belt out some celtic tunes.

I absolutely love the durablility and portability of this ocarina, which is strange because it is not one of the main reasons I bought it. It's nearly indestructible, and as such it tags along with me wherever I go. Whenever somebody asks me what the "gadget" around my neck is, I explain to them in detail about my Mountain Ocarina, how insanely awesome it is, and where they can get one like mine. I'd love to try out the poly c and warmstone g some day (I'm broke right now), but right now I am 100% completely satisfied =D      Thanks, Karl.

By the way, I'm 16 years old in New Jersey. And I got my 11 year old little cousin into playing, too. It just goes to show how anybody can pick up the instrument, play it, and have fun.  Smiley

I'll probably make a youtube review of it soon. Even though there are already a few poly g videos out there, I feel like I have to share this thing with the world. Thanks again for an awesome product!

Papa Smurf
Active Newbie

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:55 am »

In response to SecretAgentDan's review.

I liked the comparison of the size of the C and G instruments. It is a little difficult telling the difference from other images.

Raised finger holes was mentioned and explains what those grey rings do. Even guitar players should be able to learn to play this instrument if we think of them as round frets.

I also liked the mention of breath control which will be an advance when moving to the C.

The delivery of the video was not professionally polished which I appreciate as a learner. It's like having a good friend talk to you about the instruments.

RicTheGrt
Active Newbie

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 08:38:44 pm »

I received my Poly G MO about two weeks ago and it is a great little instrument. 

It is in tune and does all that it should.

However my personal taste ( & experience) is for an lower pitched instrument.

I have painted it with acrylic paint and so far no paint has flaked off. 

I much prefer my Poly C MO. 

When will we have MOs in D?

And a twelve hole?

Sigurthr
Active Newbie

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 03:41:36 am »

I got my Poly G w/ Red Liner today and after playing my Poly C for a week (and wearing it around every day either on neck or in pocket) and all I can say is WOW IT IS COMFORTABLE!!!!! I know it is said in many places that it is lighter, but I think you guys really need to stress that it is THINNER. It makes it incredibly more comfortable to have on you, and if you're more likely to wear it, you're more likely to play it. By my measurements it is about 7/16" thinner than the Poly C. Also, the thumb holes are a bit more refined feeling, which is awesome.

I still prefer the tone of the Poly C, because it is a bit deeper, and it is a bit easier to get clarity on all notes, but the playability of the Poly G is outstanding. The tapered mouth piece is a nice touch too, it doesn't feel like you're trying to inflate a remote (phrase coined by my wife, lol.)

I love your ocarinas, thank you for working so hard to make Ocarinas everyone can enjoy (and afford!)!

P.S. Thank you Karl for the excellent customer service via phone when I ordered. Getting to talk to and order from the man himself makes purchasing a MO that much better of an experience.

bentsje
Active Newbie

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »

After having the poly G (and C) for about two weeks I can agree on the fact that it`s an amazing instrument ! It`s very comfortable to wear around my neck all day long and that`s why I play it a lot. The sound of it is nice, but also a bit too loud to play for a very long time. When I play it a long time I can feel my ears don`t like it any more . . . (I have tinnitus, maybe that`s why it bothers me.) Low notes are ok, but the high notes are real loud. For that reason I like the poly C a little better.
But I still like both a lot !
At first I struggled with my fingers to get all holes closed, especially my pinky fingers, but after two or three days it wasn`t an issue anymore.

Vertigo
Active Newbie

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:37 pm »

I learned from my previous ocarina that when indoors or small spaces wear ear plugs they help and they are cheap. You can find different kinds that will reduce sound by certain decibel amounts the ones i use reduce sounds by 30 ish decibels. I think it was 25 pair for 2 or 3 dollars really cheap.  Helps me anyway and the rest of the family when I'm practicing lol.    Cheesy

FredDooolie

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 02:35:53 am »

Well, I'm so bad at this time I can't judge the musical quality, but my polycarb is pretty, tough and most of all waterproof! I'm going to wear it under my shirt everywhere.* I live in the desert. Imagine the horrible things happening inside my shirt when it's 100+degrees outside! So what? Sweat, dust and body hair won't hurt the oc and neither will rinsing it under the faucet. I can play in the shower too.

*But I wouldn't if I had one of the $$$$$ ocarinas.

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: