Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 19, 2019, 01:58:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polycarbonate G Mountain Ocarina  (Read 39221 times)
FredDooolie

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 07:18:12 am »

the fingerings of the Mountain ocarina is very close to the Recorder

or the penny whistle or the fife. That was what made me most happy. Same fingering (not counting the idle hole) so I can play back and forth between them at will to try new things. The MO stays with me at all times so I can try something during the day and then when I get home take out the penny whistle or fife and not have to figure it all out again. Practicing with one kinda counts about 80% toward practicing with the other(s). I'm so glad the MO is a transposing instrument.

Update:
Confirmed. I've been playing with my MO for two days now. A few minutes ago I picked up my penny whistle again. Much easier than before. Sounds a bit better too. I like playing with it now.  Since it can go up another octave using the same fingering as the lower octave it's very useful for figuring out the MO. If a song needs to move up too high I just play it on the PW and see what note I'm playing, then drop to that octave instead. When I have it figured out I go back to the MO.

Sigh. Guess I'd better order the music course from Karl. I'll get a Poly-C too. Darn you, Mr. Karl! You are forcing me to learn new stuff and my brain hurts!!  Cheesy (Hurt me! Hurt me!)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:51:54 am by FredDooolie » Logged

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Green
Active Newbie

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 02:08:07 am »

My first two ocarinas (poly G and C) came today. I am a grad student and amateur clarinet player without a working clarinet. For the last six months, I've been looking for a more affordable and portable instrument, but I was hesitant to purchase an MO ocarina because I thought the C and especially G sounded very breathy online. Perhaps my speakers aren't very good, but at the time I just assumed the sound I was hearing from my computer was the sound I should expect from the ocarinas. Happily, I was wrong and pleasantly surprised earlier today by the MOs' strong, full, clear, well tuned sound.

Those of you out there still using the speakers that came with your computer, don't be fooled: the G sounds a lot less like your $5, fourth-grade, soprano recorder (played by a fourth-grade you) than it might seem. Before you decide whether or not an MO ocarina is for you, I recommend borrowing a friend's good headphones/speakers.

A happy ocarina-newbie,

Sam

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:15:13 am by Green » Logged
Sitar Knight
Active Newbie

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:46 pm »

Ahh finally my poly G came in today and I am quite pleased with my order and shipping time ( 3 days), got here real fast! Now for my review. Ok, so I've had the privilege of owning the Mountain poly C for a over a year (of which I will eventually upgrade too a warmstone C when they come in stock :p) Today though, I am experimenting with my Poly G. Here are my thoughts. From the picture, I can definitely say it looks alot smaller than its picture or even youtube videos of it portray. Compared to the C, it's definitely thinner, smaller and louder, but it lacks the prescence of the C. The G has a clear, clean and powerful tone, at first I did not expect. As far as breath pressure is concerned, it's not as much of an issues as it is on the C. I notice I have a harder time getting the low notes on the C to sound in tune, where as its harder to keep the highest notes on the G in tune. These however are my own issues and not everyone will share these similarities. I can honestly say though, I prefer the C over the G which was my purpose for buying the G, but I know the G will serve my musical purposes greatly as it gives me a new voice to work with in my music. Plus, its nice to use the two ocarina's to harmonize with eachother. Well that's all for my review, sorry for my rants once again ^_^
I hope you all enjoy this ocarina as much as I do, and God bless

Calculus

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 11:04:56 pm »

Just got my c ang g poly MOs like half an hour ago, and am pleasantly surprised at the sound, and not pleased with my speaker's lies. (They sound MUCH better in person) They have just the right amount of volume imho and besides (because of the other instruments I play) having trouble with the g's lowest note's seemingly out of order fingering, and the fact that the hands go side by side instead of one above the other, (which I'm getting used to), they are the easiest instruments I've ever played. The G ocarina is surprisingly not at all bad at the highest pitches, especially when I thought the lowest note on the c sounded almost too high coming out of my speakers. I can't decide if I like the C or G better.

rbentrdr
Active Newbie

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:04 am »

I have six ocarinas, two of which are MOs.  I will soon have only two ocarinas, which means I will be getting rid of my three (maybe just two) STLs, which includes the MaxRange Triple Bass, and Songbirds Dragon Tooth.  None of them compare to Mountain Ocarinas.  I just wish Karl would come up with an alto or bass.
I first got a poly C.  Didn't like the feel of it on my lips, didn't do much with it at first. Then I picked it up some after seeing some you tube videos.  Ordered it in warmstone.  Loved it!  I heard that the G was "screechy".  Got a warmstone G awhile later anyway. Whoever said that was wrong. Once you find the right tone, and I'm just a beginner, so it's hit and miss, it has the sound of a beautiful soprano singer. I like that they're an octave apart.  I'd like an octave lower if it's ever produced.
I just ordered the 300 Celtic songs. I'll be able to use it with my ocarinas, my recorders, harps, my 37-note psaltery and flute. I can't wait!

Auroch

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 03:04:16 am »

The G is a super-terrific Ocarina! It's around my neck all the time and I love how small and compact it is. The tonal range is great and I'm pumped for getting the warmstone sometime soon.

Auroch
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: