Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
December 15, 2017, 11:22:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polycarbonate C Mountain Ocarina  (Read 45851 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 12:14:15 pm »

Hi RicTheGrt. As you know, 12 holes won't get you two octaves; you need a double-chambered ocarina for that. MO doesn't make one yet. I won't say more, because there are Men In Black in front of my house.

If you use the unofficial "rising breath" fingering that is discussed in the "unofficial alternate fingering" thread, you can get another note, F, at the top end, without losing a fingered E. A 12-hole ocarina's added range, then, is mainly the added Bb and A below the tonic. For the tin whistle repertoire, this wouldn't help much anyway, except maybe for a few tunes in A minor. The disadvantage of 12-hole fingering is that the sub-holes don't lend themselves to really fluid playing (like the double holes on a recorder), and having to commit the left pinky to keeping the high F hole closed most of the time mars the linear flow of the fingering too.

Ubizmo

RicTheGrt
Active Newbie

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:58:31 pm »

Now that I have a 12 hole plastic ocarina I understand what Ubizmo said.  However I do not regret getting it. 

It lloks prettier!  I don't know where my ocarina adventure will lead but it is fun and I love the different sound of the ocarina and its ability to bend notes. 

I am now going to play Christmas music.  Maybe I will play the Huron Carol in church.

jacobfreeman
Active Newbie

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 07:19:33 am »

I just got my Polycarbonate on Monday Smiley and I am loving, I have saw a lot of videos on the one in G but I myself love the way the one in C looks and it plays more similarly to the recorder i have, a lower more deep tone, which i love by the way. I am able to play the Polycarbonate pretty much the second I got it and since i have a little ok breathe control i haven't heard any buzzing or slight buzzing at all just gorgeous tone lol. I am aware though that any slight more breathe then required will result in an airy tone when attempting higher notes and lack of air you can get a squeak out of it but that's me making the mistake not the ocarina lol. I have nothing i dislike about it and i got the cord just right the length so i don't have to have it hang too low or choke me when i try to play it lol but is there anyway to get another cord. I also have the one in G and that was the first attempt at it and i cut that too small so i can't carry around my G

Bacchus
Active Newbie

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »

I've had my poly C for about a week now, and there's really nothing i dislike about it Smiley End of review Wink Just kidding...
I'm not a musician, so this won't be a "pro" opinion, but it could be useful if you are a beginner like me.
I'll be comparing the C with the poly G...
For me the most important thing for an instrument is (and should be) its sound. In my ears the voice of the C is lovely, mellow and rich, a bit softer, but more expressive than the G. This is the reason i chose the C for my preferred instrument.
The build quality is more than excellent - the polycarbonate gives the impression that it can last forever. The poly C really feels like a tough instrument - probably it can withstand almost anything you can throw at it (and you have a guarantee, if it can't Wink )
The C is larger than the G in every dimension. It is still light enough to be taken anywhere, but the G is more portable. I don't think that this could be a real problem, but it is worth mentioning. It will be harder to hide the C in your pocket. Still, I have large pockets on my jacket and it goes there easily Smiley
Another thing which is not exactly a problem, but rather something worth knowing - the G looks prettier (for only six days carrying it with me i have been asked twice if my C is a remote control...) I'm quite confident that me and my roommate possess the only two MOs in my country, but still... the G doesn't (even remotely Wink ) look like a remote control, even to the ignorant people around here Smiley Well, I don't mind explaining that my oc is a musical instrument, for now Smiley
Another thing i noticed is that the left thumbhole of the C is larger than the one on the G. My guess is that this makes the G more suitable for children, as it will be easier for them to cover the smaller thumbholes of the G.
The last thing is the missing 10-th hole. The "blow softly" for low B method really is more of a roundabout than a real solution, as someone had mentioned. But i tried using Ubizmo's "mind trick" of thinking of the first position as a B that has to be upgraded to C and if works fine for me, so the additional note is indeed in there, you just have to learn to find it Smiley
With all this said, the poly C is a wonderful instrument with absolutely lovely, rich tone and i enjoy greatly every minute i spend playing it Smiley

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:28:26 pm by Bacchus » Logged

Govern these ventages with your fingers and thumb,
give it breath with your mouth,
and it will discourse most eloquent music.
Look you, these are the stops.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Good review!

Keep in mind that the angle at which you hold the ocarina while you play it affects the pitch of the note a bit. This is more noticeable on the C, I believe. The most in-tune angle seems to be about 30 degrees toward the floor, rather than horizontal. As you tip it up, the pitch tends to go down a bit. This is also helpful in making the transition from low C to B and back.

Someday, in the Golden Age of Mountain Ocarinas, we need a 10-hole C, with the same design as the G, to stop the "remote control" comments once and for all. And in fact, the "alto C", or C5, ocarina is in some ways the "default" model in the ocarina world, so the MO C5 should be as appealing as possible.

Ubizmo

Sitar Knight
Active Newbie

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »

I bought my Poly C last year and am barely writing my review now? Wow, I fail at life lol. Now for my review, I got into ocarinas mainly due to the Legend of Zelda, a great game for anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to play it. As being a Legend of Zelda fan, I originally started off my ocarina career on a plastic transverse model from STL ocarina. A decent model in my eyes, but it gave me some issues, as I have realized with all the transverse models. I played guitar for several years and have rather weak wrists because of it, as well as being a tiny person I gave up on guitar altogether before switching over to ocarina. The angle with which I have to bend my wrists causes an uncomfortable tension I do not like playing with. That is what lead to my purchase of the Poly C, the inline style is a lot easier on my wrists, which I love. I like a deeper sounding ocarina, so I decided against the G when I considered my purchase. I will admit at first I did not like the tone or the playability of the poly C. I would often over blow on the low C and get a bad squeak. I was discouraged and put down the ocarina and did not play it for a long time. Time went by and I had completely fell out of music. One day while cleaning out my room, I found my old ocarinas, and tried playing them again. Switching back and forth between the two ocarinas, I quickly realized I preferred the playing style of the Poly, but I liked the sound of transverse more. As I played the Poly C more, I eventually got over my over blowing issue and it is now my favorite ocarina. (sorry for the life story, lol) Hope you can enjoy this ocarina as well I have.

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:37 am »

Definitely leave it alone. The tolerence on that fipple edge is very exact, and you'll kick yourself if you mess with it. I couldn't resist the temptation.  Sad I'll be ordering a replacement in a week or so. Basically, it leaves it out of tune and airy, and you lose the lowest note mostly.

If you did this too, and you're just now reading this, with luck and time you might be able to get it back to 'playable:' I took a very thin sheet of plastic (about the thickness of a sheet of printer paper,) cut it to just slightly larger than the window, and shaved it down so that it exactly slides down over the fipple while holding itself in place. Let's call it a shim; that's the closest word I can think of. I used a hobby file set to get the edge exactly flat and exactly 90 degrees (straight across.) By sliding the newly manufactured plastic shim down into place, I changed the airflow so that it catches the edge the way it should.

Now, this worked for me. Your mileage may vary, a lot. Doing this doesn't cause any further modification of the ocarina, so if it doesn't work, you can just remove the shim. The shim doesn't actually cover the fipple edge; it's about a half a millimeter back from the edge. I had to tinker with it to get it just right. I made 4 shims before I got one that works well. Actually, that's not true: the first one I made worked AWSOMELY but looked ugly because it was white plastic, and I made a few replacements until I got another that works, and it's black plastic and looks quite nice. Thickness of the shim is fickle. my first variant used something about the size of a credit card in thickness. What I'm using now is cut from an old VCR tape case. (A link for you young'uns:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocassette_recorder)

Now for the results. Low B is pretty easy to hit. Low C is not. If I blow hard enough to get a C, I get buzzing. Really, covering all the holes gave me a B even before I got stupid and tinkered with the fipple, if I recall correctly.  Low D is ok but it's easy to get a slight buzz. Low E through high C sound clear as a bell. High D and high E are just slightly airy but if I blow just a little harder, they come through ok. It's slightly quieter toward the highs and lows, but the middle of the range rings out.  Overall, I'd call it pretty a darn successful "There, I fixed it." I'm still tinkering with the shims, making new ones, trying to get one that sounds just a little better. The tolerances are really exacting. I've paid less attention to honing a knife edge, and that's a fact! But this repair worked for me. My first attempt got better sound than my current attempt. Like I said, I'm still tinkering.

Why am I ordering a replacement?
  • Well, I figured the T-Rex Guarantee probably doesn't/shouldn't cover this. After all, I'm the one that started tinkering. It isn't as if I dropped it and it broke.
  • Also, I'm going to go ahead and get a G/C combo. I had intended to get the G later on, but this bumped my plans up a little. I really enjoy playing (even if I only know few songs so far) and I'm practicing and improving daily.
  • Now that I know for sure that I LOVE it, I can justify getting more than one. (Maybe a fleet! Is that the correct collective for ocarinas? "I want a fleet of ocarinas." Sounds right to me!) I've already put in the hint that I want a Warmstone MO for my birthday/Fathers Day. In green, if possible, but white would be ok too. Hopefully they will be in stock. Wink
  • Also, the shim requires position adjustment sometimes. I don't want to have to fiddle with it; I just want to pick up the ocarina and play.
  • But lastly and most importantly, I don't want to get used to blowing on this modified one and then order a new one a year down the road and not be able to play it because I'd be used to blowing on the modified one. Which isn't a problem at this stage of my playing, but might be later.

But to reiterate, don't tinker with it. You won't be happy with the results.

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Calculus

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:40:57 pm »

Just got my Poly g and c about half an hour ago. The C ocarina is slightly harder to play because of breath control at first, but not that much. The low B is not much of a problem to play, and the volume on it is only slightly less. I prefer the sound of this ocarina to my G, although this one is about twice as big, and has no fingering for the lowest note. It and the g are by far the easiest instruments I've ever played. The fingering is easy and the breath control is a piece of cake compared to a tin whistle or the other ocarinas I've tried.

Scott Maness

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »

I love the full mellow sound of the Poly C. 

Here is a quick video comparing my Warmstone G and Poly C.

http://youtu.be/uFVspsclFuM

Walnut
Active Newbie

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:02 am »

I've had the poly C for 6 days now, and all I can say is I can't wait to upgrade to a warmstone!
It's a beautiful instrument, I've dropped it countless times, and it still is perfectly scratch-free. The layout of the holes is great, with all holes being easy to reach and the thumb holes being a perfect size.
I can already play a few songs on it, including a mistake-free 'I Folletti di Cetrella' with vibrato. I will post a video soonof that, and my rendition of 'Hey Jude' on the poly G.
I have taken it to school and all of my friends have been quite impressed and wanting to hold and play it, which is really great.
The low B is quite easy to play, although as Karl had stressed it did not sound good on the first blow, and neither did the G. But with practice, both ocarinas sound great Cheesy
The team at MO has done a wonderful job of manufacturing a relatively cheap, however great-sounding instrument.

THANKS MO!

~Quote by CrazyGitar~
I BET IF YOU SAW A WALL THAT HAD BEEN RECENTLY PAINTED AND WAS DRY BUT FOR THIS ONE SMALL BIT THAT WAS STILL WET YOU WOULD BE LIKE ZOMGTHATBITOFWALLISSTILLWETWTFBBQLMAO
Auroch

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 03:01:21 am »

The Polycarbonate C is definitely a spectacular instrument! I would be interested in eventually obtaining a warmstone C though I'll likely order a warmstone G first and then someday the hardwoods.

Auroch
Traeak

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »

Note the warmstone ocarinas are noticeably heavier than their poly counterparts.  Since you're less likely to wear a 'c' around it's not as big of a deal, but with the 'g' it probably is.  The polys are great portable beaters, the others are IMHO more "formal" instruments.

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Jarlaxle

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 01:22:02 am »

Well, I'm now on year two of my polycarbon C and finally writing something akin to a review. To start, this is the second ocarina I purchased, the first being a pendant, and have since gotten two more, both twelve hole transverses. Out of all my ocarinas, this is the one that is almost guaranteed to be on my person at any given time. It cannot be understated how light, portable, and borderline indestructible these ocarinas are. Mine has survived multiple drops on various hard surfaces, including concrete and one unfortunate trip down the stairs, with only minor scratching. Short of running it over or whacking it with a hammer I don't think I can throw much more at it.

The sound of the instrument is something unique that still manages to mesh well with many different playing styles. It has reedy/chiffy sound compared to my transverse ocarina which has a much more pure tone. Although some would use this word in a negative manner, this is a plus since it can be used in more environs without sounding like it is "shrieking". This is also the only ocarina that i own without the need to change position or blow significantly harder to reach the highest notes. Additionally, the ergonomics that it has are wonderful compared to most instruments, the inline style lends itself well to long playing. This also has a positive effect on the sound since it is harder for a finger to slip due to fatigue problems.

With all of these positive attributes, there are some very minor issues. The first is the standard range. With only nine holes, it does not have quite the range of a twelve hole or even the G model. This is very easily overcome when one practices with blowing strengths but it can be slightly off-putting at the start. The second is that it can be a tad finicky in regards to breath pressure compared to my other ocarinas.  When I started out, I experienced the "buzz" that many have reported. Additionally it is extremely easy to underblow low C to B, which is a mixed blessing. All of these problems are extremely minor however and quickly resolve with practice.

In summary, this is one of the best deals for someone beginning music or one looking for a new instrument. I am constantly asked and complimented about my ocarina when I play it despite only being a casual player. I have no problem recommending this ocarina to curious people when I am asked.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: