Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 20, 2019, 08:00:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to Play Mountain Ocarinas Self-Learning Curriculum  (Read 17872 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:36:22 am »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own the "Learning to Play Mountain Ocarinas" Self-Learning Curriculum... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? What do you dislike? Do you like the audio portion? The book? Was it what you expected? Help others know if this would be a good fit for them.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:11:58 am by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:33:57 pm »

I purchased this learning set along with my first Poly G.  This is a very valuable resource for those new to music or new to the ocarina.  Each lesson is broken up to learn a new note, along with songs that only use the notes you've learned to that point.  Just this book alone can fill your repertoire with many songs including Celtic, Folk, kids, and Christmas tunes. (I haven't counted)  The curriculum took me about a year to get through, and I did have a musical background.  For some it may take a shorter time, others longer, depending on your skill and dedication to practicing.  The CDs make a great companion, to help you learn what the songs should sound like.  The book also includes a few duets and sampling of Christmas tunes at the end, plus some notes on how to become a better ocarina player.  Even after finishing the course, I still go back to it to brush up on the songs I learned.

Rob W.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 04:49:54 pm by rweagle » Logged

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:56 pm »

Here's my unbiased and sincere opinion, hoping that it could be of help for others.

I'm learning a lot from this book. It's great expecially for learning to correctly read notes duration in written music; thanks to the "rhythm patterns" approach. You have to listen to some rhythmic patterns, then move (your leg, your hand, whatever: using also your body helps you to remember and learn - I know this because my girlfriend is a teacher), than move and echo to the rhythm, and then do the same reading the notes as the last step! Very effective.
The book approach is gradual, but it brings you pretty far while being for beginners. It begins with tunes you can play with one hand and the easiest rhytmic patterns and it step by step guide you to discover more complex rhytms and more complex notes (the highests!).
It's also full of tips for teaching to kids; and overall one can feel the passion for teaching and the experience that the author put in.
The only backside I could personally find of that is that the recordings are all done with quite a lot of reverb; while I personally would had preferred more to listen the tracks as I could play with my practice in normal life; I mean, to have a sample to strive at while improving.
Overall: highly recommended for any beginner. There are plenty of tips both in the text and in audio parts. The approach is slow and steady, every units have advanced activities (like playing by ear) and the voices are great  Wink.

That's all.

Ric
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:00 am »

For me, this course is an indispensible part of the "Ocarina Experience"....and one of the main reasons I bought my first Ocarinas.  I can't imagine NOT owning this course.  I went from knowing exactly nothing about music to playing simple tunes within minutes because of the great design of the Mountain Ocarinas and this fantastic resource!  I've still only made it through the first 3 lessons after, oh, 8 weeks or so...but that's because I found that to be enough knowledge to allow me to pick up a book of hymns from my church and begin to play a number of my favorite tunes.

It sounds hokey, but this course changed my life!  Thank you Cliff and Karl!

---

As far as possible improvements, I'd have to agree with Spatolo. Although the recordings sound beautiful, it would be helpful if they sounded more "realistic".

I love the "virtuoso" performances between lessons, they really give me something to aspire to...but perhaps the actual lessons could sound more like the efforts of a fantastic student?

Okay, all of that only applies if a "2nd Edition" were in the works...in the meantime, if you're going to buy an Ocarina, just buy the course!

Christinethecurious

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:02:40 pm »

I've been working with my oldest son through this program since he was in kindergarten 6 years ago,  In a few weeks we should finish the curriculum, and he is looking forward to his promised wooden ocarina.

We are getting stumped however on the rhythms patterns now.  I can no longer understand the sense behind the pattern syllables, and have to resort to the ones I learned as a student.  My son is also studying flute with another teacher now, so he is getting two methods symultaniously for rhythem.

Is there a chart of rhythm syllables, or an algorithm for them?

By the way, when I started the program, my aunt, who has a Ph D in voice performance was very excited by the curriculum, especially the rhythm syllables part.

Thanks,
Christine in Massachusetts

projectcrazy12
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:54:08 am »

I Have been using this to start me off but im stuck on unit 2...pathetic feeling coming... but its not cause i cant play the stuff if i heard it i could but i barely can read music at all (and i havent opened the cds yet whats on them?)
Thank you
Projectcrazy12

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:09 pm »

Ok this is a long Inactive topic. but I had to put my little blurb in.

I have been playing the Harmonica for 15 years, but I depended on tab for the first few years and now I play totally by ear. I do have some music reading and theory training but my reading skills are very weak.  I have had the course for just a bit over a week now and I am already on lesson 4 and loving it.  My advice is simple.  Unless you are well versed at getting music buy this.  It not only helps you to learn the MO but also helps you to learn how to read music in a slow and steady fashion.   I have always tried to learn how to sing a song before learning to play it on the harmonica, and rythem method taught in this book is not that different.  I find myself actually tonging do and do da while playing he songs.  Most of the songs in the early sections are songs I doubt I will ever play again but they are great learning tools.

rama
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:21 am »

I got interested in buying this curriculum (and the Celtic songs book :p) only after receiving a poly C+G.
Now I'd like to avoid the long and expensive international shipping, if at all possible.

So I wonder: Will there be a digital download version of the reading material some day? Smiley

Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:07:52 am »

One thing you might want to look into is go to your local music store and buy a book on learning to play the recorder.  I am sure it will have some of the same songs in it. I know that a recorder has a much larger range than the MO and the fingering  is a bit different but the songs might be helpful.

rama
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 02:26:56 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at what they have to offer when I have a bit of extra time Smiley

Nightshade
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

I got the book along with a G Ocarina and I'm a bit confused why the recordings on the CD are played on a G Ocarina and the notation for the sings in the book is for a C Ocarina: Any reason why?

4efs

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:23 am »

the G is a "transposing" instrument you can play it "as if" it is in the Key of C.  You can also play it as it's keyed in G. There are better explanations all around but...I'm here now so...

If you look at the fingering chart you will see that there are the names of 2 notes under each tab, that should help too.

I think all non C -ocs are this way actually, ie my F Hind can be read it as if it is in C and it all works out nicely or use the "actual" notes therefore play twice the tunes!  Smiley Hope that helped at least a little...

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Nightshade
Active Newbie

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »

Thank you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: