Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 19, 2019, 02:21:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 300 Celtic Folksongs for Mountain Ocarinas  (Read 41270 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:37:12 am »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own "300 Celtic Folksongs for Mountain Ocarinas"... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? Do you like the songs? Do you have any favorite songs in the book?  Help others know if this would be a good music book for them.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:01:51 am by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:44 pm »

This was the best purchase I made from Mountain Ocarinas, next to my Ocarinas of course.  I love Celtic music, and this book will keep me busy with tunes for quite a while.  The songs are ordered in alphabetical order, for easy look up.  A nice companion would have been the inclusion of basic finger ornamentation, or more songs written with the ornamentation in them.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:13 pm »

Hi Rob,

I hear you. You know, I was hesitant to include ornaments in the 300 Celtic Folksongs book because there are so many valid ways to ornament any song. As I grow as a musician, there's a real freedom, art, and joy in playing songs a bit differently each time through, in trying new things. I feel that too much notation of ornaments can lock people into thinking that they should play songs in a specific way.

However, I think your suggestion that we teach basic finger ornaments and how to approach Celtic songs is right on the money. Along those lines, I've gathered hundreds of great Irish dance tunes (that sound great on our ocarinas), and I thought I'd use some of those songs to teach ornaments, pulse, lilt, etc. Of course, I plan to do a whole series of videos on this.

I'm toying with the idea of starting a smaller group within the forum of people who really want to learn to play traditional Irish music on their ocarina. At this point, are there many of you on the forum who would like to learn to play traditional Irish music with the traditional ornaments?

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:05:53 am »

Love it, wish there was an online code for owners of the book to go in and see the tabs for the 300 songs <GRIN> as needed <GRIN>

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »

I'm toying with the idea of starting a smaller group within the forum of people who really want to learn to play traditional Irish music on their ocarina. At this point, are there many of you on the forum who would like to learn to play traditional Irish music with the traditional ornaments?

Count me in!! I'm ordering the book today, along with my new warmstone G ocarina!!

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:34:37 pm »

this could be interesting. i play traditional irish on the irish flute and on the whistle.

to add to something Karl said about onamentation and not noting it in written form. one of the all-time great Irish whistlers is Micho Russell. in a recent thread about ornamentation and Micho on another forum, an individual who had transcribed a lot of Micho's recordings commented that Micho rarely played any song the same way twice. He always put his ornamentation in different places. much of Irish trad is that way. not so much fixed in stone as felt in the heart. it is often said that there is no "one, absolute" way to play any irish tune.

sorry, i wander and blather a bit.... anyway... the ocarina lends itself well to all the usual ornamentation... cuts, hits, rolls, cranns... while it is not a traditional irish instrument, it should be a lot of fun and it should sound good.

note to karl: now you REALLY need to make that MO in D (since most Irish trad is in D and virtually all sessions are done in D.) just a kinder, gentler reminder  Grin

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
RW_eagle

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:29:13 am »

Karl,
As a Celtic music fan I would be interested in furthering my appreciation of the genre.  I only mentioned some more songs using the ornamentation, because it is great practice for using a similar technique with other songs.  My favorite song is "Mairseail Ri Laoise" because of the added ornamentation in the music.  Like you when I started playing the ocarina I could play the songs well as written, but am pretty slow at adding my personal touch to songs.

Rob W.

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »

Ive got the ABC tabs ready for I have a bonnet trimmed in blue from the book, is it OK for me to enter it into your database?

If it is I'll get that done asap.

Thanks

dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
MattH
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:38:38 pm »

+ 1 here.

hoodsmom

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:28 am »

I'm looking forward to trying some music that I'm not familiar with.  I think we complete newbies would appreciate a list of what you consider "easy" ones to start with.  Or maybe rank each piece easy, intermediate, advanced?

Thanks.

hoodsmom

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:46 pm »

Karl and Cliff - what do the asterisks in the titles mean?  If the answer's in the introduction, I must be reading too fast.

Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:46 pm »

Indeed, the answer is in the introduction Smiley They are the simpler songs.

RW_eagle

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:51:04 pm »

Karl and Cliff - what do the asterisks in the titles mean?  If the answer's in the introduction, I must be reading too fast.

The * indicates that the song is geared towards beginners and is easier to play.  It is in the introduction on the second page, first paragraph, fourth point. Wink

Rob W.

*Edit* Laurent beat me to it.

tomg
Active Newbie

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:54 pm »

I received this book and am very pleased with it.
It will give me plenty of music to work on as I
learn the ocarina.

One thing that I miss though is not having the
tempo of the songs indicated. I am familiar only
with a few of the songs, e.g. Scarborough Fair,
so on most of them I have no idea how fast they
should be played.

For example, the first one in the book, A Bunch
of Thyme, sounds good when played slowly.  But
I wonder if that is the normal tempo for the song.

Enjoy,
Tom

Enjoy,
Tom
R-Jay
Active Newbie

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 12:38:01 am »

This is a great book, and not just for ocarina players!  I am an accordion player, and find this book to be a treasure of fine melodies.  Seldom has such an inexpensive purchase brought me so many hours of enjoyment.  Thanks to Karl and crew.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: