Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 19, 2019, 02:33:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Hymns in Easy Keys  (Read 14616 times)
Cliff

« on: December 14, 2008, 10:40:23 am »

I'm trying to make a simple "Customer Reviews" section like Amazon has for all of it's products. I find this the most useful help for me on Amazon when thinking about a product.

If you own "Favorite Hymns in Easy Keys"... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? Do you like the songs? Do you have any favorite songs in the book?  Help others know if this would be a good music book for them.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:04:40 am by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:19:10 pm »

I got this book the same time I got the "Favorite Carols" book.  At the time I was looking for anything and everything sheet music for playing with my new ocarinas.  While I haven't gone through the book as much as the "Carols" it does contain quite a few hymns that should be easily recognized.  Great for accompaniment at church.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Ric
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:41 pm »

I set out to write a negative review of this book.  That in and of itself was a little surprising to me, because I am SO happy with the three Mountain Ocarinas I've purchased (so far) and the self learning curriculum.

Well, digging out the book to look it over while writing, I can't write the review I thought I would.

Okay, I set myself up for disappointment by ordering this book without knowing what was inside.  That's my fault.  Shortly after placing my order I used the "Ask Cliff" feature on the website and he almost immediately published the contents pages for all to see...at least I could swear they weren't there before.... Grin

There are only a handful of the many hymns that I wanted to learn in this book, along with quite a few that are "foreign" to me.  Let's face it, there are countless churches on this earth, and while there are a few very famous hymns...we're definitely not all going to have the same favorites.

After putting this book aside and beginning the self learning course I realized that many of the hymns I was singing on Sundays were written in the same key as most of the songs in the curriculum...so I started transcribing the soprano notes by hand onto blank paper.  When I opened "Favorite Hymns" a few minutes ago I was chagrined to see that I'd wasted a bit of effort, since here are "I Need Thee Every Hour" and "Sweet Hour of Prayer" all laid out for me.

But the real clincher, what made me ecstatic that I had indeed purchased this book came when I realized that the tune of one of the hymns, which I didn't think I'd ever heard of, was oddly familiar to me.  "Morning Has Broken" is not one of the 300+ hymns in the hymnal used by my church.  I recognized the tune as the melody from the Clannad song "Mystery Game".

Okay maybe I'm nuts.

Buy this book if you want to play enough of the hymns listed in the table of contents on your Ocarina to justify it to yourself.  Then play the rest just for fun! 

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 02:43:09 pm »

"Morning Has Broken" is not one of the 300+ hymns in the hymnal used by my church.  I recognized the tune as the melody from the Clannad song "Mystery Game".

And for the geezers present, it's the song that Cat Stevens recorded on his "Teaser and the Firecat" album in 1971.  But mainly I want to say Thank You for reminding me of that song!  It's a wonderful song for the ocarina.  As soon as I read this message I grabbed the ocarina and played it, and it's now on my ever-growing to-do list of stuff to put on Youtube when I get time.  I'm sure there are MIDI backing tracks for it, but it might sound just fine a cappella.  Good one!

ubizmo

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:07:12 pm »

I like Cat stevens also, the song "lady d'arbanville" (sp) is my favorite as well as moonshadow and Peace Train. I had a good greatest hits on LP. Need to download some mp3's .Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Ric
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:56:45 pm »

I guess I don't qualify as a Geezer.....who's Cat Stevens?  Grin

I'll look forward to your video.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

I guess I don't qualify as a Geezer.....who's Cat Stevens?  Grin

I'll look forward to your video.

Cat Stevens was a very well-known and well-loved British singer in the 1970s.  He had (and still has) a distinctive mellow voice, and his style was often compared to James Taylor.  People who liked James Taylor's music generally liked Cat Stevens's music too.  He did a very nice cover of the hymn "Morning Has Broken," and made it a hit song.  Those years in the 70s were my college years, and it seemed that everyone had his albums.  Then, in about 1978 (I think), he abruptly converted to Islam, sold all his guitars and devoted himself to religious study and service projects.  He changed his name to Yusuf Islam.  He became infamous for supporting Ayatollah Khomeini's fatwa against the novelist Salman Rushdie, years later.  As I recall, he claimed that he never actually supported it, but was merely explaining it, or something.  In any case, it was a major controversy in the late 1980s, even though Stevens/Islam wasn't actively performing at that point.

I gather he returned to music a few years ago.  Here he is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0VP01JauQ, in Naples, in 2007.  His voice is the same as ever: mellow and resonant.  Always a pleasure to listen to.

ubizmo

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: