Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 21, 2020, 12:59:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic ornaments on Mountain Ocarinas: Part 4  (Read 6575 times)
Cliff

« on: December 15, 2008, 11:03:14 pm »

Playing "Hot Cross ROLLS with SLIDES" on your ocarina

Please note: our goal in making these videos is to help you to enjoy your ocarina and to grow as a musician. Unfortunately, the production quality is rather poor. Please feel free to post questions and to offer any feedback or suggestions that might increase the helpfulness of future videos. With your input, and as time and resources permit, we hope to get better and better.

Link to video on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/2537935

Please let us know what you think after you've watched it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:45:50 am by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
shan

экии!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:07:43 am »

Good stuff- it's helpful to see these techniques "atomized" like this.  It really helps me to fit the mechanics into the sounds I'm hearing and/or wanting to produce. 

noahsummers

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »

Great videos!  I find it hilarious that I feel all inexperienced for not being able to do this already, and I've only had mine for a little over a day, with no musical experience. XD

I guess it's because you're using "Hot Cross Rolls."  Nice pun, by the way.  Cheesy

SamSpade
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »

I don't suppose you could show it slower?

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:06 am »

Thanks for posting the question, Sam!  If you felt that way after watching the video, I'm sure several other people did too.

I can do this slower, but tomorrow I'm off to a wedding on the other side of the country. When I get back, I'll try to make a supplementary video in which I'll show some things in slow motion. 

In the meantime, here are a few tips. 

First, don't forget that the main point of this video was merely to teach slides and to introduce the idea that you can slide into a roll.  If you caught the big picture, that's great! That's enough for now. I wasn't expecting you to dissect and comprehend every little thing I did with my fingers yet. These concepts and techniques took a long time to sink into my head, so if you're new to these concepts, I'd be amazed if they were crystal clear to you at this point.

Second, if possible, try to watch videos 1-3 a few times because I break things down more in those videos.

Lastly --if you cannot rest until you understand all things in this video-- remember that a regular long roll always consists of a parent note that is divided into three by a cut and a strike. With that in mind, try to notice what finger I'm cutting with and what finger I'm striking with.  While it's common to start a roll by tonguing, in this video I demonstrated how you can slide into rolls also. And, as I watch the video myself, I see that I started some of the rolls with a cut at the beginning of the roll, and then I completed the roll with another cut followed by a strike. I'm sure that this paragraph makes perfect sense to everyone! Wink 

Little by little, you'll go a long way.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:27:53 am by Karl » Logged
Danny
Active Newbie

Ta-da

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:33 am »

Great video, nice pun!

Playing the black nag is fun!
Auroch

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

Great again. Thanks, Karl!

Auroch