Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 04:06:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 3236 times)
jiminos

humming to myself

« on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:31 pm »

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:39:52 pm by jiminos » Logged

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:34:14 pm »

Hello! Glad you got the "stuff".
I am a whistle player too. Definitely the whistle is not chromatic! Half holing is a difficult technique, and it's impossible to do in any FAST tune. That was one reason why I went with MO.
The other was portability. This is something that I suggest you to take into consideration. Try carry an ocarina around with you. They are little, light, and unbreakable. The G is expecially comfortable to carry around: you can put it in a pocket and forge about it; or wear it around my neck as I usually do. The C is very portable too, one of the most portable instruments ever probably; although not as much as the G.
Have fun!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:43:54 pm »

It's weird, isn't it?

Where my computer is, I have several tin whistles, three recorders, and some ocarinas.  I have two saxophones.  I play them all but the one that my hand reaches for most is the MO.  It's certainly not the one that I play the best.  It's a combination of portability, spontaneity, and having the chromatic scale.  Sometimes I just don't feel like playing Irish traditional music, and the sax is quite loud, needs to be assembled, reed wetted, etc... The recorder is fine, but the MO has a more pleasing sound.  And I do carry my C with me pretty much everywhere.

But I'm trying to get to know the G better.

ubi

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:04 am »

This is precisely what I experienced, and I'm just as surprised.  Where at first I was somewhat frustrated by the limited range of the ocarina (until the ProRange comes out!), that frustration soon turned to a sense of challenge, to see how much I could manage to play on it.  That feeling has stayed with me.  And when I play in front of people, it is nothing short of amazing to see their reaction to such a warm and pleasing sound from such a mysterious looking instrument!

ubi

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: