Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 26, 2014, 10:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ....  (Read 4173 times)
jiminos

humming to myself

« on: December 16, 2008, 10:32:03 PM »

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:39:06 PM by jiminos » Logged

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »

Not a bad idea but... the risk is for that list to become too cumbersome. I use youtube as a reference for now. Anyhow here's roughly:

In the while I work thorough the curriculum; so I try to play the songs there. Do you have it?
I sometimes also try to port some whistle tunes to the ocarina (that's difficult!), like the quaker's wife (I just put a raw video of it), and the rolling waves.
I'd also like to play some traditional song of my region; up to now I only know an easy one, "porta romana".
The song is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxNrNRF4mk4
I'm workin on "el me gatt" (it's a story about... a dead cat).

shan

экии!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »

what if we were to list the songs that we each play regularly (just the titles) so that others might get some ideas for songs to take a shot at?

Good idea, Jim. 

Here's a start from me:
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow (see my recent youtube contribution)
Frosty the Snowman
Kesh Jig
Lili Burlero
Lilting Banshee
The Flintstones
The Fishin' Hole (Andy Griffith theme song)
Her Mantle So Green
You Are My Sunshine
  more to come, as I think of them (sorry, busy making supper just now...)

Added:
Fisher's Hornpipe
Paddywhack
Sally Gardens
Devil's Dream

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:02:35 PM by shan » Logged
Lord Oblivion

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:53:27 AM »

Here are some metal song that I like to play:

Nightwish
-Wish I had an Angel (see my video)
-Nemo
-Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijian
-Eva

Ensiferum
-Lai Lai Hei
-Wanderer
-Token of Time
-Lady in Black (Uriah Heep cover)

Eluveitie - Inis Mona

Korpiklaani
-Pellonpelkko
-Before the morning sun
-Wooden Pints
-Spring Dance

Turisas
-As Torches Rise
-Battle Metal

Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (not metal; they call it "Celtic Punk")

There are more but I can't remember right now. I'll edit my post when I do.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:01:31 PM by Lord Oblivion » Logged
Spatolo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:37 AM »

spatolo... i don't have the curriculum.... mostly because i have been reading music for about 40 years

Man, I could not be more embarassed. Sorry about that  Lips sealed

Anyhow. The song that I'm focusing on the most is "you are my sunshine". I don't even like it SO much but I want to do my best in the group song. There's the sheet music made by shan in the "group song" thread, into the "interesting experiences" section of the forum.

Why don't you join in?

Ciao..

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »

When I pick up the ocarina, I tend to play whatever tune is in my head.  This morning it was "Just the two of us," the Bill Withers tune; last night it was Willy Nelson, "You were always on my mind."  When I did that review video, "Hall of the Mountain King" popped out--unfortunately the second part won't fit on the MO.

As for practicing...I've worked out a modified version of "Tam Lin" (aka "Glasgow Reel") that fits.  It's a bit tricky but I like playing it.  It makes a good dexterity exercise too, if nothing else.

ubi

shan

экии!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »

I'm quite pleased that Jim proposed such a list.  I tend to get locked into a few songs and then it all feels stale, and then I don't want to play for a while.  Thanks to all  (and those yet to contribute) for their lists!

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »

i'm gonna have to look these artists you've listed. i've not heard of any of them.

Well, I didn't really expect the people here to know any of these bands but I'm just throwing in some ideas for those of you who might like to give a try to metal. All of the bands I've named so far, except for Nightwish, are Folk metal so they work really well with the sound of ocarina. That's one of the great things about metal: it blends really well with so many genres! Another style that works great is Power metal, because the voice is usually very melodic (but sometimes out of range).

There are two ways I find songs to play (or try to) on the ocarina: either I think of a melody I know and give it a shot to see if it's possible OR I take my iPod and browse through the list (80 gig of pure metal...well...maybe 75, and a bit of other random stuff) with ocarina in mind, trying every band I think might be good.

hopefully some vids will come along.

Yes, there is definitely more coming!! Right now I'm trying to learn Inis Mona (Eluveitie) all the way through (there is a very tricky part about halfway through), and as soon as I can record Lai Lai Hei (Ensiferum) entirely without mistakes (it's frikkin' 7:15 minutes, and there is a very fast guitar solo I try to improvise with but it never sounds very good...) I'll post it.

Finally, thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated!!

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »

Does anyone here know the band Dropkick Murphys? I ask because I just found out that they covered "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya" which is, of course, a MO classic!! They play Celtic Punk, and I never really payed any special attention to them before but now I'm gonna have to try to play some of their songs on my ocs! I'll let you guys know if it works well.

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »

I admit they are not my favorite band in this genre but the "Johnny" cover is really worth a listen. Anyway if you want a really good Celtic Punk band, check out Flogging Molly, I frikkin love these guys!

shan

экии!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »

favorite thing to listen to is.... shakuhachi music... bamboo flute for meditation. i also listen to a lot of classical. and recently... an awful lot of ocarina music... go figure.

Ever listen to xun music?  Xun is a Chinese vessel flute-- I suppose you could call it a Chinese ocarina.  Good stuff.  I think if you like shakuhachi, you'll like the xun. 

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »

LO,
  Yeah Dropkick Murphys changed their style majorly after their first album, which was just like Sham 69, last resort, and other early punk bands. I grew up listening to punk music, psychobilly, rap, and metal though. I liked Misfits, The Cramps, Danzig, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, lots of NYC hardcore like Warzone, Youth of today, guerilla biscuits and BOLD,also liked Shelter, Run DMC, Slick Rick, Doug E Fresh, LL Cool J, Herbie Hancock's "future shock" album, Bad Religion, NOFX, Damned, and I could name pages more!
   When I got a little older I got into more classic rock like RUSH, YES, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, Rick Wakeman, Journey, Boston, and the like. About 7/8 years ago got into a lot of synth music like Kraftwerk, Devo, Tangerine Dream etc.. and later bluegrass and old country music. I like it all really, It all has connected to me on some level so I can't really say I like one type of music.. Peace, Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: