Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 20, 2019, 02:51:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone ocarina- what were they thinking?  (Read 4125 times)
OcarinaPlayer123
Active Newbie

« on: December 21, 2008, 05:53:49 am »

iPhone ocarina??? I am at a loss of words. This is beyond stupid and pointless in my humble opinion.   Huh

I guess a real ocarina that is an actual instrument, sounds better and doesn't need batteries/recharging is so yesterday old skool. But to each their own I guess. Me blow into a cellphone? Never! Grin

http://gizmodo.com/5079308/the-iphone-ocarina-link-never-would-have-allowed-this

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:04:54 am by OcarinaPlayer123 » Logged
Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:02:18 am »

This may seem silly, but I would not have discovered real ocarinas (and mountain ones) without iPhone's one. When you don't know about ocarinas and buy this 1$ one (assuming you have an iPhone), you rapidly see the limitations of it. And in my case, I bought my first ocarina just a week after it.  Grin

noahsummers

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:22:19 pm »

I don't see what's so bad about it.  As in Laurent's case, it could garner more exposure for real ocarinas.  I don't think that guy writing the article knows what he's talking about, either; he makes it sound like you just pick a preset song and pretend to play it.  If I had an iPhone, I'd buy it; it'd be a much more cost-effective way to practice an English pendant ocarina than actually buying one. Wink

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »

I knew about ocarinas a while before that app came out because of Docjazz4 so I bought it as soon as it came out because I really wanted one and in Canada the only ocarinas you'll find are cheap 5$ plastic ones that either don't play in tune or sound WAY too "airy". This app has definitely served it's purpose for me, which was to substitute the oc I couldn't have. Of course now I have my MOs so I don't use it that much anymore but I still like to play it at night with earphones when everyone is sleeping. All of this to say that it's not at all pointless or stupid; it actually works quite well with a bit of practice.

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:13 pm »

I was a little skeptical about the smule program at first, but it has shown to draw lots of people to traditional ocarinas as well as the Mountain ocarina's site and instruments. It's a good deal if you already have an iphone, a dollar is nothing these days! If you find it fun to play, more power to you!
   It's the same here where I live Lord Oblivion, if you want a good ocarina you have to mail order, the music stores around here had no idea what I was talking about when I went looking for my first one,( which is a plastic piece of junk like you were mentioning!)
    I'm glad I got it though because the same day in frustration I went online and found the mountain ocarinas page and ordered my first AWESOME ocarina here the next day! I've been hooked ever since! Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Spatolo

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 11:47:22 pm »

I'm amazed to see how MANY of you have the iPhone! My god.

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:14:22 am »

Not me man, too expensive in my opinion. And I dislike the fact that anything made by apple computers is under such strict control of apple. That's what will keep them from becoming number one. A pc will run anything..however on the apple computer/iphone/ipod's they control every single program that these applications run, and if they don't want people running a certain program, they just send out a code that keeps those programs from running. I have a pc/sony mp3 player because if you have the ipod you are very restricted as to what you can download. Sorry to vent, but c'mon apple, get with the program! Smiley j/k

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: