Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 13, 2020, 02:09:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: At the "folkfest" festival  (Read 5590 times)
Spatolo

« on: November 04, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »

I had a great weekend in a beautiful village in center Italy, named San Benedetto in Alpe. There were lots of teachers of traditional music and dances, of many regions of the world (while the main focus was about irish music, there was room for african dances, breton waltzes, and lots of more).
I went there mostly to learn something new about the tin whistle and the irish flute, so, I feared that people into that kind of stuff could be very skeptical to anything not closely related to the tradition, and I choosen to keep my ocarina in the pocket for almost all the time.
BUT, when I pulled it out to show it off to a fellow musician I met at the restaurant table, well, he was stunned! "How beautiful it is" he said, and he asked for me if he could play it. Of course I agreed: in two minutes he was playing better than I ever did, well, ok, almost, anyhow, he was TALENTED.
After this (he asked me what instrument was that and I gave him some link on paper), I found the courage to play something around the restaurant on the way to the car. No more than a minute overall. And, a man followed me asking to see it, again! He too was stunned by it's beauty. "What it's made of?" "hem, it's a synthetic matherial used to build kitchen tops"). Really no more than five minutes with the ocarina out and I got lot of attentions, and I was forgetting about an irish player who told me... what's that? It sounds like a whistle!

Next year I will definitely not be so ashame and shy, and I'll show it off proudly. There are good chances that REALLY MANY musician will be interested in it, since it got all this attention in such a little time. I have my ocarina hanging all the time and at, only at a musical festival I've hidden it! What stupid I was. When I will be a good player for sure it will be easier not to fell into those mental, stupid traps.

Hope somebody enjoyed the story. Uh, the festival website is this one, if you care: http://www.folkfest.it/english.php

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:01 am »

Great story man, I think that most musicians are open to new things, especially variations on instruments they enjoy. Sounds like a fun festival too. I think you are much better at playing than you give yourself credit! Smiley Have a great day! Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:06 am »

Thank you, sadly that's the truth. EXPECIALLY when playing in public (even if the "audience" is a single person). I got PARALYZED, I make errors after errors, what the hell!

Any suggestion to fight that "audience stress"?

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:23:17 pm »

Thank you, sadly that's the truth. EXPECIALLY when playing in public (even if the "audience" is a single person). I got PARALYZED, I make errors after errors, what the hell!

Any suggestion to fight that "audience stress"?

Close your eyes!

By the way, if you are looking for a tin whistle, you might contact Guido Gonzato, in Verona, who makes fine whistles from PVC tubing.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:26:49 pm by ubizmo » Logged
Cliff

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »

Great story Spatolo. I think next year you should have 5 ocarinas around your neck  Smiley

One thing I've found works well is to pick one song that you like, and learn that one song so that you can play it under *any* circumstances. When you're half-awake, when your lying on your back, when you're hanging upside down on monkey bars in the playground, when you're standing on one foot, after you just ran a marathon, with your eyes closed, one eye open, after you got a tooth filled at the dentist... and when you're nervous. Learn that one song till you know it so well you can't mess up... even if you try. Just play that one song any time you give a person a demo of your instrument for the first time. My first song for the ocarina that I learned like this was "Bridget Cruise." Don't pick a song that's too challenging for wherever your abilities currently are.

Have any pics of the festival?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:10:02 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Spatolo

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:34 pm »

Thank you for the tip.

I have only a few pics. I hope that a girl in my class will send me some more. http://flickr.com/photos/febs/sets/72157608619098825/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: