Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 23, 2020, 07:56:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The video section  (Read 9982 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: December 26, 2008, 03:26:45 pm »

It seems that having all or most videos in one thread in the "Share your videos" is getting unwieldy, as the number of videos posted gets larger. I thought I'd start this thread to talk about ideas for a better way to do it.  I think it's important for people, especially those who are new to MOs, to see all kinds of examples of them being played.  And even though they can use the search tool in Youtube to do it, it's good to have them here, ready to be browsed.  Not only that, having them here allows us to embed from Vimeo instead (or both Vimeo and Youtube).  But what's the best way to group the videos?

One way is by person, a video counterpart to the "musical journey" section.

Another way is by musical genre, with threads for Celtic, metal, classical, and more.

Or we could sort them alphabetically, by title, with threads for A-K, L-Q, R-Z, or something like that.

Any ideas?

ubi

Cliff

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:49:53 pm »

I completely agree. A while back I started an application that will let us catalog ocarina videos. It's been stalled mid-stream along with some other partially completed projects. My goal was a bit more ambitious before as to trying to closely integrate with the YouTube data API.

I think the thing to do would be to scale back my original more ambitious plans and make something very simple that allows us to store videos with some fields to categorize. What fields do you think would make sense:

1. title
2. date
3. user
4. genre (any suggestions on genre's)
5. ocarina key (G, C or both)
6. material (poly, WarmStone, hardwood)
7. Notes/comments from the video's author

We could list and find according to: user, genre, ocarina, material

Thoughts? Additional fields?

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:43:16 pm »

how about whether it is video or only audio (mp3,wav,etc)?

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Spatolo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:55:19 pm »

Additional fields?

"Request for comments/constructive critics" can be a useful boolean field?

ubizmo

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 05:52:38 pm »

I completely agree. A while back I started an application that will let us catalog ocarina videos. It's been stalled mid-stream along with some other partially completed projects. My goal was a bit more ambitious before as to trying to closely integrate with the YouTube data API.

I think the thing to do would be to scale back my original more ambitious plans and make something very simple that allows us to store videos with some fields to categorize. What fields do you think would make sense:

1. title
2. date
3. user
4. genre (any suggestions on genre's)
5. ocarina key (G, C or both)
6. material (poly, WarmStone, hardwood)
7. Notes/comments from the video's author

We could list and find according to: user, genre, ocarina, material

Thoughts? Additional fields?

I think this is fine, as long as it's done in a way that allows for the addition of genres that we didn't think of.

ubi

shan

экии!

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:54:11 pm »

Maybe scrap the "genre" field and use a "Tags" free-text entry instead.  I mean, some users might consider a lot of the music you hear here "folk", others might call it Celtic, some others yet may go with "Irish" or Scottish" (etc.)

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »

Yeah and I wouldn't want to be left alone in the metal section! Cry

shan

экии!

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:08:58 pm »

Also, re: #6 inCliff's list...  Is there enough difference between the different materials (hardwood, corian, polycarbonate) to justify a categorical distinction?  I think I've read folks on the forum saying that there is but that it doesn't come through in video/audio.  If this is true, why bother?

ubizmo

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 11:01:04 pm »

Also, re: #6 inCliff's list...  Is there enough difference between the different materials (hardwood, corian, polycarbonate) to justify a categorical distinction?  I think I've read folks on the forum saying that there is but that it doesn't come through in video/audio.  If this is true, why bother?

The difference is pretty subtle, but I'm also thinking of people who may not yet own MOs who come to the forum and browse around, wanting to learn more about them.  They may find it useful to see and hear the different materials.

ubi

Spatolo

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:57:27 am »

I would LOVE to join you but that's way hard and technical: too fast for me! Yet. And for a long time being to. Sorry man!

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:44:09 am »

Haha don't worry you'll get there! And not all metal songs go fast and are hard to play. Some very good songs rely on heaviness rather than speed, and there are lots of great ballads from metal bands.

ubizmo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »

I think Dan would jump in to keep you company.

ubi

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 03:43:38 am »

Metal is ingrained in my dna! No matter how hard I try to fight it j/k..I still enjoy playing heavy music on my guitar I just don't listen to it much anymore.. Smiley Peace, Daniel

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: