Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 10:10:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticking my neck out  (Read 5252 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: December 30, 2008, 02:11:48 am »

Okay, here's the deal. Tonight I got the insane idea that I could play Bach's "Air on the G String" on the ocarina.  So I searched and found a backing track.  I knew it would be hard, so I made this video and posted it, and you get to see it, with all the wrong notes, flat notes that need to be pushed up, and other warts.  By doing this, I publicly make a commitment to work on this until I get it right.  Otherwise, you'd never know I thought of doing it.  It may take weeks, or longer.  This isn't so much about tricky fingering as it is about breath control and pitch control.  And there's a reason it's called "Air on the G string," and not "Air on the G ocarina."  There are precious few spaces for breathing in it.  But that's my problem, not Bach's.  This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, and it deserves some serious work.  That's why I put it in this "challenge" section.

On the other hand, it's too embarrassing to release to the general public, so I put it on Vimeo with a password, "ocarina", for the amusement of members of this forum.  Maybe I'll do a "take 2" and a "take 3" before I do as finished a version as I can muster.

But here's take 1...  http://vimeo.com/2666202

ubi

Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:25:08 pm »

Wow, sounds VERY, VERY, (DARN!) VERY PROMISING. Sincere congratulations.

And, it looks like you have painted the ocarina, or it's just me? I'm going to check other threads to see if there's any news...  Wink

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:21:05 am »

The only one around here who's painting ocarinas is you!  It must just be the lighting.

Bach's "Air" has a long way to go, but I'm still working on it, using the 2-minute method, when I get the chance.  But I'm also playing with Bach's "Bourée" and "St. Thomas" and "Tam Lin" and...oh never mind.

omzibu

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:26:27 am »

imho, you are much to critical of yourself. keep up the good work.

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Scott Maness

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:22:20 am »

How did "air on the G string" turn out?

That is a beautiful song.  I also love his Cello suites. 

UncleO
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:50 am »

Hi!

(As in HIGH standards and ability!)

I have listened to you play one piece on YouTube.

You are great!

Please post some more there.

Perhaps the mundane pop-country Ghost Riders?

Anything! Lot's of anything, please.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: