Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
September 25, 2020, 02:14:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Re Mi?  (Read 4113 times)
PonderWolf

« on: May 19, 2009, 01:28:55 am »

I'm sitting in the back of the Stryker(big armored wheeled thing for those of you not into military hardware) tonight while the grunts(affectionate name for infantrymen) searched vehicles looking for potential bad guys. As a medic I don't do anything unless someone gets hurt, so of course, we all hope I stay bored. I'm getting side tracked.......

Anyways, I pull out my Oc to pass the time, and the Gods know I need the practice, and I started working on trying to figure out the "Do, a deer, a female deer" song from the sound of music. I amazed myself by actually figuring out the first couple of bars(is that the right word?). Since I'm very new to this, I was wondering if anyone else has this song figured out yet?

Only 2 days of being serious about this little instrument and I'm starting to improve already. Now I'm irritated with myself for taking so long to get started, but, as they say, better late than never.

Roy

Karl B

Ocarina Beginner

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:49 am »

You know Roy, when I want to just play without trying to learn I also play that song.  It too came easy for me for the first parts (I think to "so" or "la").  I like to play it because it gives me confidence in my learning the ocarina.

Keep it up, it's fun!

Karl B

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."   --Thomas Jefferson
garysibio
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

I'm sitting in the back of the Stryker(big armored wheeled thing for those of you not into military hardware) tonight while the grunts(affectionate name for infantrymen) searched vehicles looking for potential bad guys. As a medic I don't do anything unless someone gets hurt, so of course, we all hope I stay bored. I'm getting side tracked.......

In that case I hope you get a lot of time to practice.

Gary

PonderWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »

Another boring mission, and more practice. I thought I would try my hand at that ABC notation thing, I know I'll make mistakes, so please feel free to correct me.

X: 1
T: Do a deer
M: 3/4
L: 1/4
R: movie
K: C
C2D|E2D|EDE|
D2E|FFE|DF2|
E2F|G2F|GFG|
F2G|aaG|Fa2|
G2C|CDE|FG2|
a2D|DEF|Ga2|
b2E|EFG|ab2|

As you can see, I got a lot further with it. Its been decades since I've actually heard this song(7th grade music class) so I'm sure I am not remembering it correctly.

While I was practicing it, another soldier recognized the tune, I was shocked. Honestly, the fact that I have gotten this far with the the song has amazed me since I think I have negative talent when it comes to music.

Roy

spectrum42

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:34:30 am »

I like playing this one too. It helps me get the fingerings down, but have it sound nicer than just playing straight scales.  When I play it, I have one more line to the song.  This notation isn't exactly like yours, but see how it works for you.  Hopefully it makes sense. The small 'c' (3 times near the end) is the high c, not the low like the rest of them.

CDECECE  (Doe, a deer, a female deer)
DEFFEDF  (Ray, a drop of golden sun)
EFGEGEG  (Me, a name I call myself)
FGAAGFA  (Far, a long, long way to run)
GCDEFGA  (Sew, a needle pulling thread)
ADEFGAB  (La, a note to follow Sew)
BEFGABc  (Tea, a drink with jam and bread)
cBAFBGc (GC)  (That will bring us back to Do (doh-doh))

noahsummers

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:45 pm »

I'm sitting in the back of the Stryker tonight
And you talk like it's boring over there... Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: