Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 13, 2020, 02:46:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running out of Air...  (Read 4183 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: January 15, 2009, 05:38:04 pm »

Sometimes you just have to go with what you've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqdQh6ix5c

After practicing it on and off, I realized I'm not going to be able to play it right until I grow another lung.  In the meantime, I'm pushing a version of Bach's appropriately named "Air" out the door.

Umbizo

Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »

After practicing it on and off, I realized I'm not going to be able to play it right until I grow another lung. 

I trade one with some playing skill. My lungs are in good conditions; I live in a polluted town but I do a lot of sports in the wild.
Contact me privately if you are interested.

ubizmo

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »

Speaking of air, here's another Irish air....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVKPDiffUUA

That sepia look makes it look more...traditional, doesn't it?

ubi

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:31:34 pm »

very well done, ubi. i've also been working on Inisheer, but on the whistle. what a great melody.

again, very well done and very enjoyable.

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
ubizmo

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »

For those who may be interested in such things, my Youtube video of "Air on the G String" has been removed due to a copyright infringement complaint from "Serendip LLC".  Since Bach's composition has been in the public domain for centuries, I can only imagine that the infringement was my use of a track from Wendy Carlos's "Switched-on Bach" album from 1968.  A quick bit of googling revealed that Serendip LLC, apparently a software development company of some sort, owns the copyright to all of Carlos's works, and enforces it aggressively.  I suppose it was the fact that I actually credited Carlos for the track that made it readily findable.  In any event, I have no complaint.  I would have thought that my use of the track might actually inspire a few people to check out the original album, rather than diminishing the market for it, but that's not my call to make.

I originally planned to make that video using a MIDI track, but I used the Carlos track for a couple of reasons.  First, it's very well done, and better than any MIDI track I've ever heard.  Second, it had no repeats, so it was about half the length of the MIDI tracks.  As a general thing, I try to keep Youtube videos short.  In Youtube's universe, two minutes is an eternity.  And since I generally upload videos to Vimeo as well (they not only have much better video quality, but you can also retrieve the original non-Flash file, so it's a good backup practice), I'll be taking it down there too, before Serendip LLC has reason to complain.

Wendy Carlos (she was Walter Carlos then) was a pioneer in the use of the Moog synthesizer, and the "Switched-on Bach" album was a surprise hit.  When I first heard it, as a kid in junior high school, it opened the door to classical music for me.  Prior to that album, I knew nothing about Bach or any other composer, but the great thing about that album was the exquisite clarity with which all the parts could be heard: the counterpoint, the cadences, everything.  At 15 years of age, I was blown away.  I started going to the Providence Public Library and listening to recordings of Bach in their classical listening room.  They also had scores in file cabinets, and I'd get the score and follow along while I listened.  I started playing bits and pieces of things by ear on the recorder.  I never became a classical musician, by a long shot, but I have to say that album changed my life.  And I suppose that has something to do with why I chose that track.

ubizmo

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:16 pm »

I had a copy of Switched on Bach on vinyl, great album! I love the moog, the modular is just insane looking with all those cables and knobs!what a great master of the moog.
    My new favorite keyboard player is Jordan Rudess of Dream theater! If you get a chance, rent the Moog Concert movie, it has some amazing solos, plus rick wakeman, jan hammer, bernie worrel from Parliament funkadelic. If you like moogs and great musicianship it's worth watching. Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
RecorderSue

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:47:58 am »

At 15 years of age, I was blown away.  I started going to the Providence Public Library and listening to recordings of Bach in their classical listening room.  They also had scores in file cabinets, and I'd get the score and follow along while I listened.  I started playing bits and pieces of things by ear on the recorder.  I never became a classical musician, by a long shot, but I have to say that album changed my life.  And I suppose that has something to do with why I chose that track.

Ubi, I was sad to see the "removed" notice on YouTube and to miss out on hearing your version of Bach's Air.  That's a wonderful story from your musical history, and it's too bad the copyright owners have no idea and maybe don't even care about such things...

Would you be willing to e-mail the video?

By the way, my sister recently told me she randomly viewed some Mountain Ocarina YouTube videos after seeing my MOs on Christmas day, and said she especially enjoyed listening to one guy who played with "a lot of feeling".  After a little more description, it turned out to be you, and I could tell her, "I know Ubi!"  Thanks for all the music you have shared!

Susan

Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:39:53 am »

Ubizmo, I sympatize with this accident. Darn crazy world; In my opinion not only your usage of the track in the backend could not stop anybody from buying a copy of it, but that could even encourage some to buy it; discovering something new and wanting it.

You get a pat on the back from me.

ubizmo

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »

Would you be willing to e-mail the video?

It's too large to email, but I think if I just keep it on Vimeo, http://vimeo.com/2839637, with password "ocarina", it should be okay.  Don't, um, have high expectations for this performance.  I fought the temptation to stick ornaments in there where they don't belong, but, well, I have obsessive ornamentation disorder.

By the way, my sister recently told me she randomly viewed some Mountain Ocarina YouTube videos after seeing my MOs on Christmas day, and said she especially enjoyed listening to one guy who played with "a lot of feeling".  After a little more description, it turned out to be you,

"The guy who looks like a musical bear," no doubt.

Can't wait till the weather gets milder, for more "location" recordings without freezing my fingers.

ubi

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: