Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 08:52:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ocarina tuner?  (Read 25123 times)
hoodsmom

« on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:12 am »

An ocarina tips video I saw last night recommended using a tuner to get your ocarina airflow right, since notes are susceptible to bending depending on your airflow.  I tried using an online piano tuning site, but my brain has problems converting the piano note to an ocarina note.  What would the MO honchos think about putting some mp3 files containing single tones for tuning purposed on the site?

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:17:18 am »

i use a tuner that i downloaded from the web. it is excellent and requires no "converting" or "translating."

click on this http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html and then scrolll down the page until you see

Auto Tuner for Windows-XP etc.
TUNER_E301.zip(95KB) Version 3.01 : 2008/08/08 ... click on that and unzip the file after it is downloaded. it is a great tuner... i use it for ocarina, tin whistle, guitar, flute...

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
kissing
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:43 am »

The one I use sometimes is this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mowjbb4jxbw

It's a tuner that uses the computer microphone. It was created by a member at The Ocarina Network called tuneofwind Cheesy

hoodsmom

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:56:51 pm »

Thanks for the links.  The Tuner_E link was a good start and is my favorite of all the apps below, so thanks so much, kissing.  I have a Mac and here's what I found for Mac users:

Tuner_E runs only in Classic - but if you have a Mac that runs Classic or boots in OS 9 (and your Classic installation detects your OS X microphone!), here's the link:  http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.sit

Here's a tutorial for Tuner_E:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYOrWgp8HY - which is very helpful because the developer is Japanese and doesn't provide much in the way of directions.

If you have only Mac OS X, these work:
Perfect Pitch - will "listen" to your instrument and tell you what note you're playing - similar to Tuner_E.  Tuner_E has more features, but Perfect Pitch will do.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21944

Freaky Tuner
http://www.freaksw.com/applications/freakytuner/
plays notes in multiple octaves using different instruments.  You listen and see if what you're playing matches.  The instruments are synthesized (don't sound quite like the real thing) and there was no ocarina, but the recorder tone was close.

For other beginners - if you're tuning your poly G, remember that the C fingering on a poly G is actually a G (refer to the fingering chart that came with your poly G to get the actual notes).

Tuning was enormously helpful.  In my attempts to blast away a hissing undertone I can hear in my high E, I was blowing way too hard and was actually a half step higher (if you get lost hiking with your poly G, it'll double as a safety whistle  Wink).  I read elsewhere that what you hear when you play a mountains ocarina isn't quite what your audience hears - is that true?

teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »

For Mac users, there's a tuner in GarageBand. Create/select a "real instrument" track and you can then change the LCD screen to a tuner.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »

I still use this one, http://www.seventhstring.com/tuner/tuner.html, most of the time.

ubi

hoodsmom

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:24 am »

For Mac users, there's a tuner in GarageBand. Create/select a "real instrument" track

then pick "show tuner" from the control menu - found it - thanks!

Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »

I got a chromatic tuner; I mean, a device, for 20 EUR. I like it because I can use it without turning the computer on, it's handy and I can bring it with me when I play with friends. And I don't like the noise of my computer's fan  Cheesy
Anyhow; I mostly use it to tune the guitar. But I also use it for the ocarina; expecially when my friend play the guitar with me.

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »

I have a Korg chromatic tuner, it's excellent and has a built in mic and 1/4 inch plug input as well. I highly suggest this tuner, it's the best selling tuner on most web sites at about 20 bucks american. I've had mine for like 3 years I think. I used to have an electric Sabine tuner and it sucked, I paid like bucks for it too..Sad Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Tim in Alaska!
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:26 am »

I have a Korg chromatic tuner, it's excellent and has a built in mic and 1/4 inch plug input as well. I highly suggest this tuner, it's the best selling tuner on most web sites at about 20 bucks american. I've had mine for like 3 years I think. I used to have an electric Sabine tuner and it sucked, I paid like bucks for it too..Sad Dan

I've had no experience with music and decided that the only way I'd learn is with something like the Mountain Ocarina and a tuner that I could carry with me.

I purchased a KORG TM-40 http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=209 tuner at the same time as my ocarinas. It has a chromatic tuner on the left and a metronome on the right. The tuner and metronome can be used alone or together.

It comes with two AAA batteries and is very easy to use. Being only 4.45” (W) x 3.03” (D) x 0.71” (H) it's easy to slip into my pocket, but discovered that I might damage it.

After carrying the KORG in my pocket for a few hours I pulled it out and it looked like the upper right corner of the displayed was damaged. It cleared up in less then a minute so I think it was just warm because I haven't had any display problems.

I'm going to get a small plastic case to put it in so it doesn't get damaged.

It has a little fold out stand so that I can set it up on the dashboard of my truck for practice.

I've just received my ocarinas and tuner in the last couple of days but I glad I got the tuner because it's helping me hit my notes.

Hope this helps.

Amiable

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:16:43 am »

I just saw this thread (so many threads in this forum that I haven't read!).  I'm confused - doesn't the MO only play one sound for each fingering?  How does a tuner help?

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:43:38 am »

nominally, the MO only plays one note for each fingering... however...

if you blow softly, the note you play will be flat when compared to "concert" or "tuner" pitch.
if you blow forcefully, the note you play will be sharp.

in fact... if you blow soft enough on the low note of the C MO you can take it down below the lowest "nominal" or named note by at least a full half step... and if you blow hard enough you can bend the highest named note a full half tone higher (as Ubi has done on a couple of videos so far)...

so, why does a tuner help?... it will help you learn how hard or soft you much blow in order to get the note you want from the MO... which in turn will help you play better when playing with others... just one more step in the  mastery of your MO....

I think i got that right...

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Amiable

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:19:49 pm »

Ah!  Thanks Jim.  I haven't thought about using a tuner to help with hitting the overplay/fipple-bend notes...  I should give that a try, could be useful until the mythical ProRange appears Tongue

Elven Spellmaker
Active Newbie

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 06:26:00 pm »

An ocarina tips video I saw last night recommended using a tuner to get your ocarina airflow right, since notes are susceptible to bending depending on your airflow.  I tried using an online piano tuning site, but my brain has problems converting the piano note to an ocarina note.  What would the MO honchos think about putting some mp3 files containing single tones for tuning purposed on the site?

I use AP Tuner 3.08, the programmer asks for some money but its the best and simplest Tuner I know of. You can set ranges of notes, for example A Double Alto C, and listen to music in Stereo Mix (Or similar mode), and see if a piece can be played on an oc.

Rune
Active Newbie

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 05:45:51 am »

I found two free iPhone/iPad apps that work well for this - one is called PanoTuner, and the other is called insTuner. I like that one best because you can choose different displays. I don't like the strobe one, it makes my eyes go funny, but the one that's called Spectrum (FFT - Fast Fourier Transform) is really fun, and I find it's easier to make my notes line up with the right line than try to make a letter A or whatever turn green. And, now I have something new to look up - I have no idea what FFT means! I discovered I was actually playing a low B on the C ocarina, and have to work harder to make it a C.

Combined with Ubizmo's video about practicing steady long notes, it's more fun than frustrating to try to learn how to make the ocarina sound right.

Rune

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: