Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 08:43:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 28697 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »

It occurred to me that the majority of active and even semi-active members of this forum are male.  We have RecorderSue who posts and made a video, and Moonsyne, who is kept busy over at TON anyway, but I can't think of many other female participants here.  Why do you suppose that is?  Do you suppose there's a similar trend in MO sales?

ubizmo

Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »

I have memory of ZaffiroRubino, a girl which introduced herself here but I never noticed her again.
Probably the girls are scary because of the bad boys around (me, you, dan with his tattoos, but of course and most importantly CLIFF).

Cliff

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:39 pm »

Do you suppose there's a similar trend in MO sales?

I don't have an exact statistic, but sales are not largely skewed to males. Many females buy. Do you know if TON and/or OU are largely male?

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Karl B

Ocarina Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »

According to the stats page there are 6.2 male for each 1 female on the forum.  I realize this is just representing those who make mention of this in their profile though. 

Karl B

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."   --Thomas Jefferson
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:59:45 am »

Do you suppose there's a similar trend in MO sales?

I don't have an exact statistic, but sales are not largely skewed to males. Many females buy. Do you know if TON and/or OU are largely male?

There seem to be a few more women among the regular posters there, although I think it's still male-dominated.  OU seems pretty inactive.

Well, I just wondered.

ubi

ForestsRequiem
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:16:14 am »

I'm not entirely sure why so few girls participate...

Do you think it is because most of the guys who play ocarina have it as their biggest hobby while for many of the girls it's one of their many hobbies?

Thanks to DeepRed for adding the text!
Formerly Ocarinaman333
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:12:13 pm »

It could be because more guys play zelda games, and that drew them to the ocarina. It seems like a lot of girls play instruments but most girls I meet have played piano/violin when they were younger or something. I don't know the real stats but this is what I've noticed. Maybe guys just tend to be more active on certain forums? I dunno Smiley Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
DesertKahuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:54:18 pm »

Good morning.

Here is my 2cents (now worth only about .25cents due to inflation...hey did anyone realize that the symbol for cents is gone from the key board....I want my cents symbol back!).

I think that participation in/on various boards can be partially correlated to the  trend in the computer industry.
Take for example my profession (DVM).  50 years ago it was male dominated 99%+ male.  When I graduated 17 years ago it was approx 50/50.  Now the shift has changed so that on average 90% are women 10% males.  In some schools there are 100% graduating female classes.  The veterinary profession did a study on this and concluded that males are predominantly being drawn into the computer arena.  I suspect the same may hold partially true here that males are more likely to blog on a repeated basis about topics as they seem to be more "into" computers than females.  It could also be that females being much better looking than we are ;are too busy talking to men/males face to face to be bothered with typing on the keyboard.
Well there is my .25cents worth of pseudopop cultural psychobabble for the day.
I hope that all you "guys" out there have a great day.
Nathan

shan

экии!

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:20:03 pm »

Please-oh-please-oh-please, don't let Gloria Allred read this thread...

Cheesy

DesertKahuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:33:00 pm »

Why would Allred care or even be upset by what has been written here.
Most if not all of the statements here could be validated by fact.
For those other comments they are only compliments to women nothing derrogatory has been written here.
Mabey Mountin Ocarinas need to come out with a more female friendly ocarina.  Black and white appeals to men but perhaps
pink or yellow, mabey even hello kitty.  Or they could produce a non slip sleeve like the Wii has that you can put on your ocarina.
Just look at what women buy for their cell phones.
I think that Spatulo would be a good choice as the go to man here.
He had an article on decorating your ocarina and seems to have VERY good luck in using it to attract the fairer sex.
Nathan

shan

экии!

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:30:44 pm »

Why would Allred care or even be upset by what has been written here [...] all of the statements here could be validated by fact.
Sorry for that-- I meant it as a joke.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but let me explain as succinctly as I can.  Allred is the one who sued the Augusta Golf Club for not allowing women as members (she lost, by the way).  Not meant to be taken either literally or seriously-- just the comical (to me, anyway) idea that upon learning of another all-male (or mostly so) bastion, she'd get her dander up and "demand" "equality" or some such... 

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »

You guys have raised an important issue. Quite honestly, I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but I believe that we sell as many ocarinas to women as to men. In fact, I just asked our shipping manager (my wife Susan) about this, and she assured me that our sales have always been fairly balanced between the sexes. And some women get just as enthusiastic about ocarinas as some men.

I’ve talked this over a little with Susan, and this is my half-baked theory, which we can add to Shan’s two-cents worth. This forum began relatively recently with male moderators and the help of enthusiastic male participants. It would only make sense that there would be a fairly masculine tone to communication.

Here’s a ridiculous but telling example of what I mean by a masculine tone. This happened a long time ago when I was newly married and not yet housetrained. I was standing with a group of guys, and we were just about splitting our sides, laughing about something to do with flatulence. My wife walked up and could not begin to understand why we found this so funny. Now, Susan has a GREAT sense of humor—it’s one of the many things I love about her. However, I think it's clear that, even though we are all individuals, women tend to have different sensibilities than men in many areas.

As far as more balance in this forum, I think it may take some time. I’m confident that if we continue to make the forum helpful and valuable, we will get more and more participation from female ocarina enthusiasts.

With that said, we should keep an eye on this trend. If it continues, I think we'll want to look for ways to encourage more female participation. What do you women (and men) think?

Hey, I just thought of something.  Maybe I should ditch the gray t-shirts and go more with soft, pastel colors… Smiley

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:01 am »

No stick with grey, but we gotta find a way to get the women involved in the chats more. (especially for us single Oc players who want to still to be able to play when we find Ms Right <GRIN> )

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:00:37 am »

No stick with grey, but we gotta find a way to get the women involved in the chats more. (especially for us single Oc players who want to still to be able to play when we find Ms Right <GRIN> )

Dave

Hmmm, Dave, at some point we may have to put you in charge of this.  I see that your motivation runs even deeper than mine.Smiley

Seriously, though, I have some ideas for encouraging women to participate more if it doesn't happen without outside intervention.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:04:12 am by Karl » Logged
armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

Any lady's out there up for posting their videos of them playing the MO's on youtube?? I only know of a couple ladies so far that post ANY ocarina videos at all on there, most there again are guys... Hmmm... The group of them name goes unmentioned, lost their youtube account, when I emailed them they said it was under investigation but that was it other then speculation as to what happened, Im not going to pass rumors. But there are a few ladys out there posting videos now we just got to get them talking.

ugh im tired..

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: