Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 29, 2020, 05:10:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 28691 times)
noahsummers

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:16 pm »

Well, one thing I've noticed is that, while guys have no problem hanging out in large groups, girls tend to have one or two friends.  I wonder if this transfers over to internet socializing.  When you think about it, it's not just this forum that's predominantly male, but the entire internet community.  Maybe it's not social tendencies, but the female:male techno-geek ratio, as mentioned.

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:01 pm »

I only have one male best friend, the rest have always been women. Maybe cause I hate sports well other then live gladiator fighting to the death, now thats a real sport with a purpose.

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
hoodsmom

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 06:59:07 pm »

but the female:male techno-geek ratio.

I think you guys (literally) have hit it on the head.

I belong to a Mac user group with an active bulletin board.  We actually have a pretty fair mix of men and women, but I would guess that the men who post on the board still outnumber the women and where tech issues are concerned, there are not many women responders, altho we have a handful of women experts in certain forums, such as photography and desktop publishing.  Women seem to come more to ask ?'s and less to "socialize" or give advice.  I like computers, math and science, but observing my college-aged nieces and all the social drama that surrounds them, I suspect that women think don't view a computer as a means of serious communication - or at least computer communication ranks below face-to-face communication.

Psoewish
Active Newbie

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »

Isn't it commonly known that their are no woman on the internet?! Grin

hoodsmom

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:40:52 am »

but the female:male techno-geek ratio.

I think you guys (literally) have hit it on the head.

I belong to a Mac user group with an active bulletin board.  We actually have a pretty fair mix of men and women, but I would guess that the men who post on the board still outnumber the women and where tech issues are concerned, there are not many women responders, altho we have a handful of women experts in certain forums, such as photography and desktop publishing.  Women seem to come more to ask ?'s and less to "socialize" or give advice.  I like computers, math and science, but observing my college-aged nieces and all the social drama that surrounds them, I suspect that women don't view a computer as a means of serious communication - or at least computer communication ranks below face-to-face communication.

Moonsyne
Active Newbie

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:50 am »

On-line, most people assume that I am male. It is part of the appeal of being on-line. There is no gender in text. This changes when the realm of videos comes into play. My opinion is that women do not get the same respect that men do, so fewer post ocarina videos. I can hear some people saying "What?" but I have seen it.

A brother and sister of approximately the same age and skill upload ocarina playing videos. The female recieves almost all comments are about how she looks and such while her brother recieves almost all serious comments about his playing. The off topic was so bad, they closed thier account.

It was terribly disrespectful.

Please pay me a visit at The Ocarina Center.
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »

On-line, most people assume that I am male. It is part of the appeal of being on-line. There is no gender in text. This changes when the realm of videos comes into play. My opinion is that women do not get the same respect that men do, so fewer post ocarina videos. I can hear some people saying "What?" but I have seen it.

A brother and sister of approximately the same age and skill upload ocarina playing videos. The female recieves almost all comments are about how she looks and such while her brother recieves almost all serious comments about his playing. The off topic was so bad, they closed thier account.

It was terribly disrespectful.

I agree that women get more comments about their looks, and sexual innuendos on Youtube.  There are ways of dealing with such things , but I don't fault anyone for not wanting to have to deal with it.  This young woman, http://www.youtube.com/user/christellester, has over 100 harmonica videos up.  She's very talented, and I've been a subscriber for some time.  In the year or so that I've subscribed, I've seen a number of sleazy comments posted, but she quickly removes them and blocks the users.  It's a shame that this sort of thing deters some women from posting videos at all, but understandable.

But my original question was about this, the MO forum.  The ratio of women to men who post regularly on this board is, I think, quite a bit lower than it is on TON, for example.  If, as Cliff assures us, this doesn't reflect an actual MO sales bias, then there's some other variable.  My guess is age, but I'm pulling that out of thin air.

obizmu

nuby
Active Newbie

a sigh has never sound so beautiful

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

yeah.. I've also tought about it, and there aren't many women playing ocarina or uploading youtube videos.
but the ones that do it.. they're good  Smiley

AzKiteMan

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:43 pm »

It could be because more guys play zelda games,

You can't get me to believe that! I am one of three guys I know who play zelda, and i know like, 8 girls, so, more that twice the zelda-fans i know are girls.

I think it's because girls like to do many other things, and because of that, can't really have time to look for sites like this.

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
Lady Maie

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 02:41:51 pm »

*Raises hand*

I am a female!!! And I plan on posting my music sometime soon, although I don't know that it will be Youtube.

*Laugh* Funny thread to read through.

Of the increase of His government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
~Isaiah 9:7
noahsummers

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

I've noticed way more female oc players since when this thread was started... maybe it triggered something! =O

Tongue

Lady Maie

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 02:58:06 am »

Don't know. I just found it a couple of days ago--I've been on the forum for a couple of months.

Of the increase of His government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
~Isaiah 9:7
treebhouse

Home Sweet Home...The Great Smoky Mts.

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 06:52:45 am »

:-*Thanks Guys ! I so enjoyed reading all your comments...LMAO. I'm a newbie...and Female...so keep up the laughs for us Ladies. I am just learning...the howls from my Malamutes, goes along with it well. I love the Native flute music, and thought this would be a nice small instrument to carry, and have a similar sound. I look forward to learning a few things from all you more experienced players.And, I'm so glad for your humor...

Tree
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »

Malamutes love to sing!  Maybe you can get a recording of an ocarina sing-along with them.

Ubizmo

girlmeetsbuoy
Active Newbie

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 06:23:39 am »

What a fascinating topic! But I've not been involved in the Forum long enough to comment...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: