Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 01, 2020, 11:27:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the women?  (Read 27615 times)
Maiyah
Active Newbie

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26:08 am »

I find this topic very interesting.

What I've noticed with regard to my hetero friends who have kids, the female partner tends to spend all her time just getting daily stuff done, and rarely gets on the computer.

As one married guy put it at a Pickin' Party I went to "I bought my wife a beautiful mandolin, but she hasn't even made time to pick it up yet."  They have four kids, and he came to the Pickin' Party alone b/c she didn't feel comfortable getting a sitter.

YMMV

Classical
Active Newbie

May you receive what is best for you.

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 12:07:11 am »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum & haven't received my MO yet.  But this conversation is so funny!
Yes, I'm female.  Retired & finally not responsible for anyone but myself.  I no longer
carry a handbag either!  Just a cell & a fistful of cards.  And most ladies with children
don't have time, even 5 minutes, because the children require lots of time & attention.
Maybe next time a husband "takes 5" he could set aside 10 and watch the children so
she could "take 5," too!

I have a YouTube channel but right now it's all classical music.  But when I get good
on my MO I'll start a playlist of my vids.     Wink

Jan
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:34 am »

But when I get good on my MO I'll start a playlist of my vids.     Wink

I think that's why we see fewer women playing. Women, unlike men, wait until they are good!  Grin

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 08:08:21 pm »

This is just personal observation, but women don't generally follow "boards." They will follow "groups." Women are far more likely to participate in an email group than a message board. I realize the distinction is very fine, but it does make a difference. The bulletin board format is mostly outdated, and mostly used by gamers, and specifically gaming clans. Since that's the case, it is counter-intuitive to anyone who isn't 1. a gamer, 2. a computer geek or 3. someone who's been on the 'nets long enough to remember bulletin boards in their glory days.

That's not strictly true. Many websites are really cleverly disguised bulletin boards, such as www.deviantart.com/ But most women are new to the 'net and really don't care for anything that's not Web2.0. This applies also to all younger generations, too (excluding gamers.) Which is not to say that the same people wouldn't read the board, but they wouldn't participate in it. Again, this is personal observation based on the people I know.

For a format that does seem to draw a somewhat even mix, take a look at www.reddit.com

tldr; Non-techies just don't "get" bulletin boards. Due to net experience level, they expect a newer format, that's not based on the idea of "folders."

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:44:51 pm by kavaliro » Logged

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Cliff

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »

kavaliro,

that's an interesting observation. by "groups" do you mean something like google groups?

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Yaara

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:20 pm »

I like boards better than groups... I'm a member of a few Yahoo! groups, most of them work and school related, but I spend more time here and browsing the comments section of The Daily What and some news sites.

I do find that many of the boards that would otherwise interest me are often populated by (presumably very young) men who direct crude, sexist, unfunny comments toward female posters.  I'm not a prude at all, but 4chan lost my interest early on... what's the fun of hanging out in a place where "GO MAKE ME A SANDWICH" is the height of wit?  The anonymity of the internet gives rise to a lot of jerky behavior (from both genders).  Just one reason among many why this forum is such a nice place to be.   Grin

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
cerescop

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:06 am »

It seems that many if our youth's education in manners was lost on some. As to women sticking together in groups instead of posting here? I don't know. I go into chat rooms like Paltalk and  others and i find no lack of women in there. But that is a group thing there I guess. Maybe there is safety in numbers. But with the anonymity of the web they could be anyone they want. Hmmm it is a puzzle.

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 02:10:54 am »

You can look at just about any community based website, and it has the bulletin-board as it's ancestor. Wikis, Facebook, Yahoo/Google Groups, News sites like Digg, Slashdot, Reddit--when you really look at how they function, they are basically all bulletin boards, specialized toward the content they deliver:

Wiki: a bulletin board where every member can edit each other's posts. This is useful for amassing knowledge about a subject.
Facebook: a bulletin board where the user's profile is the content. Each user has his/her own subforum (their wall), where they mostly post topics about themselves.
Yahoo/Google Groups: A bulletin board system where the idea of subtopics is usually ignored, and people use email as the posting/reading mechanism. Posts are then stored and moderated like a normal bulletin board on the website.
News Sites: A bulletin board where there is a 'front page', upon which all of the most popular topics (by member vote, normally) get shown until they get bumped off of the front page by newer or more popular content. content.

Groups (Yahoo/Google, etc.) are easier for the non-tech-savvy. Content is pushed to you, and so you don't have to go searching for it, normally. Thus, it appeals to the masses. Classing Bulletin Boards (like this one) are different. You have to pull content from them, and actively search for what is new. (Not really, I know... but it's about perception.)

Mostly it's a matter of interface. How does the user interface with the data? Is the user comfortable with how the data is being presented?

I think (and I could be wrong: I'm making this up as I go;)) but I think that because classic bulletin boards have become so pidgeon-holed to tech-related uses, not many people who have just started using the internet would find them comfortable to use. Or at least, as comfortable as some of the other styles of community sites. Once someone starts using a site, they quickly acclimate. It's just getting them using the site in the first place. That's all I'm saying. And up until somewhat recently (10-ish years ago?), there were relatively few women in tech/ using the net. (I could be full of baloney about all this. Caveat emptor.)

I don't think I'd change this site from a bulletin board, though. It's working and the community is pretty strong, so keep on doing what you're doing. I would LOVE to see some of this ocarina knowledge find it's way into a wiki, though. That's what wikis are good at: gathering knowledge from a community, and there's TONS of stuff buried in this forum that could be more accessible and/or organized.

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Yaara

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »

It sounds like some of you might enjoy one of my favorite short stories, When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth by Cory Doctorow.  Warning: If it were a movie, it would be rated R for language and situations.  It's an end-of-the-world story, tragic, graphic, and ultimately optimistic... and it's about people who know the difference between bulletin boards and Yahoo! groups.  Most of the sysadmins are men, which is why this thread reminded me of the story.

http://craphound.com/overclocked/Cory_Doctorow_-_Overclocked_-_When_Sysadmins_Ruled_the_Earth.html

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Scott Maness

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »

My wife plays Piano, Ukulele and some on the fiddle.  We have 5 kids  and understand about the time issue.   She is very excited about the poly G and C coming.  We are already looking at some of the warmstone ocarinas and planning duets.  Smiley

Music is so much better if it is done together.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: