Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 06:25:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Track names for the Curriculum's CDs  (Read 18782 times)
teidon
Active Newbie

« on: January 29, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »

Changed title from CDDB data for the Curriculm's CDs

Track names for each CD are now available in CDDB (Gracenote Music Recognition Service)

I finally received my order from MO this monday (stupid USPS, stupid customs) and among other stuff were ofcourse the curriculum. So I place the first CD in my computer's CD Rom drive and I am greeted with a huge list of tracks named Track 1, Track 2, and so on. Ugh, what a mess!

So I thought I would make it little easier for me to use the CDs by naming the tracks. I then figured out that if I am going through the trouble naming all the tracks I might as well help the rest of you at the same time. So I decided that I would submit the track names and such to CDDB. It's a very difficult thing to do, it requires not one but TWO mouse clicks. Once the CDDB data is available anyone who places the same CD in their computer's CD Rom drive should get the track list I created. Your music player just needs to support CDDB, and most of them does.

I just hope that there aren't many different versions of the discs out there, because the CDDB data will only work with identical copies of the CDs. Any difference between two discs and they are considered to be two different discs. And it also hit me, after having named and submited all the tracks of CD 1 already, that is there some kind of official track list somewhere? One with more details than the one printed on the CD case?

In any case I submited the information for the curriculum's first CD yesterday. It isn't yet available though, they say it takes about 48h for the data to be available after being submited, so it should be available tomorrow, or when ever they think is a good time to make it public (next year probably). I hope that once the data is available that you would point errors and give ideas how to improve it. I should be able to submit the corrected information with the same two mouse clicks so it isn't exactly a huge trouble.

And I of course hope that the CDDB data will help atleast some of you to use the CDs more effectively. No more need to blindly look for the track where Hot Cross Buns is played when you need to memorise it's complicated rhythm - again!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:43:05 am by teidon » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

Wow, I am sorry you have gone through all that work and frustration, but I am so grateful that you have taken the time to provide this feedback!  It should help us to make the curriculum more helpful.

Now, I need to clarify.  As you know, presently on the CD cases, the following appears for each CD. (I'll only list CD1, but CD2 and CD3 follow the same format):
CD 1: Units 1-5
Intro: Tracks 1-2
Pre. Lesson: Tracks 3-8
Unit 1: Tracks 9-28
Unit 2: Tracks 29-42
Unit 3: Tracks 43-56
Unit 4: Tracks 57-65
Unit 5: Tracks 66-77

What would be more helpful? Should we supply a more detailed list of the individual CD tracks with our CDs?  Should we make those names appear when you put the CDs into your CD drive?  You know, when we first went over to CDs from audio cassettes, people were putting these into CD players instead of into their computer, and numbers were all that would show up in the CD player's display.  It sounds like we need to update this. I'm just not very technically savvy in some areas. So, we are here, awaiting your instructions. On behalf of all the users of our curriculum, I thank you!

teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:37:19 pm »

A more detailed list would be helpfull. You may for example want to go back a little bit in the curriculum to memorise some of the earlier subjects. That would be easier if you could know what each track is because you may not want to go through the whole Unit. Also there's a lot of different kind of tips and what not in the CDs but no mentions about them on the book. You might sometime want to listen to all the tips and such again to make sure you haven't forgotten any of them. But as there's nearly 80 tracks on each of the three CDs... good luck finding those tips! And also as there's so many tracks for each unit it's difficult to find any specific track, like what track has this and that song played and so on.

Those are the reason why I decided to name the tracks.

But of course once the track names and such I wrote are available on CDDB, and you have seen them and are done laughing, you could tell wheter you like the track names or not and come up with better names for them etc. I could then update the CDDB data accordingly. You could then include that same track list in the curriculum (printed somewhere) and as I have added the information to CDDB the track list will appear on everyone's screen if they put the CD into their computer. The track list of (almost) all CDs out there comes from CDDB, not from the CD itself.

And I am just glad if helped someone or something with this. Smiley

Here's a sneak peak how the track list on my computer looks like (part of CD 1). And I hope that it will soon look like that on everyone's computer.

Another thing that would also be helpfull would be to have the track numbers written next to each songs and rhythm patterns etc on the book. So that you could easily find the tracks where for example each song is played. For example you look at Unit 1 and decide that you want to play Hot Cross Buns but you first need to hear it played to be able to play it by yourself. If the track number ("CD1 Track 18") would be written somewhere near the Hot Cross Buns you could easily and quickly find it and listen to it and then play it instead of needing to try if it's this track, nope, maybe this track, nope.. And so on.

And there's one minor mistake in my book. In Unit 14 there's a song called Merrily, Merrily at the bottom of the page. For some reason text "Unit 15" has been written over it. It's not that bad as it's only at the beginning of the second line, but it's partially covering one note. It also covers the key signature on that line, but that's not a problem as the key signature is also on the first line of the song. Is this a known error or is it something unique in my book?

EDIT: Made some corrections so that the text would more clear/understandable.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:45:10 pm by teidon » Logged
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:33 am »

This looks like a great idea, and  lots of work.  Tongue

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:54:35 am »

CDDB data for CD 1 is now available. Hooray!

Everyone who has the curriculum, please try to enter the CD 1 into your computer and see if the track names and other information appears automaticly in your music player program. If you have previously put the CD into your computer it might be necessary to manually get the information. See if there's something like "Get track names from CDDB" or something like that somewhere in the program.

If you find any errors or think that some track should be named something else, please let me know and we can discuss what would be the best name for each track. I think few of the track names should be changed, like tracks 69-71. Didn't put too much effort to figuring out good names for those tracks and that was the first one to come in mind.

And one important question is that should the "artist" of these CDs be Mountain Ocarina (like it is currently) or should it be Cliff Schofer or something else? I can easily change that so Karl and/or Cliff, tell me what you think about it. I will obey the master's command. Smiley

I have the CD 2 and 3 more or less done, I will probably submit them later today. And once I have all the CDs done and the track names are good and so on so forth, I could create a PDF file (or whatever type of file) with all the track names if anyone happens to have use for such? It won't be difficult thing to do so let me know if someone needs it.

This looks like a great idea, and  lots of work.  Tongue
It didn't take me that much time to write the names. Smiley But I do hope that some people finds it usefull.

teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »

I did some looking around and found out that CDDB is no longer as popular as I thought/hoped it would be. It seems that only 2 music player programs supports it, iTunes and WinAmp. It used to popular but they made some licensing changes which angered many software developers. The result is that now there are several similar CD DataBases. FreeDB, MusicBrainz and AMG seems to be most popular. I can submit the track names to FreeDB and MusicBrainz but AMG wants a physical copy of the CD. Windows Media Player is one major music player that uses AMG to get the track names of CDs. In case Karl wants to have the track names submited there (to make them available for Windows Media Player users), you can read the instructions here. I am not sure if they will accept it though. They are pretty restrictive and I am not sure if they accept non-music CDs.

Anyways, I'll create somekind of file today that will have all the track names listed and will post it here. I'll make it easily printable for added convenience. In the mean time, if there are any users of WinAmp or iTunes who happens to have the curriculum, please try and see if it finds the track names of CD 1 and let me know. And for the record, I submited CD 2 and 3 to CDDB yesterday.

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 07:04:40 pm »

What are the other things? All there is is Itunes. <GRIN>

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Psoewish
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »

Should we supply a more detailed list of the individual CD tracks with our CDs?  Should we make those names appear when you put the CDs into your CD drive?
Yes please! Smiley

It's rather hard to navigate through the CDs right now because of the lack of proper titles, and this would be a great addition Smiley

@ teidon, I'll check it out now, I'll update in a sec Smiley

EDIT: thanks! Cheesy

Gracenote found everything just fine, so I was finally able to rip the tracks (OCD and having big lists of track x files in my media library don't play well together). Smiley

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:23:28 pm by Psoewish » Logged
teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:11 am »

Track names for each CDs are now available at CDDB, or "Gracenote Music Recognition Service" as it is nowadays called. Please test them out and let me know if they work. And also give suggestions how to improve the track names.

And I'll make that PDF file with all the track names today.

@ Psoewish, thank you for testing it and letting me know that it works.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:43:50 am by teidon » Logged
teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »

A little update. I had a discussion regarding the track list and such with Karl and we came to conclusion that me/we won't release the track list file quite yet. Once Karl has shoveled his avalanches (Huh) he will go through the curriculum and CDs and... we'll see what we do then.

In the mean time those lucky ones who are using a media player capable to get CD info from Gracenote CDDB can get the track list from there. I submitted few corrections there couple days ago and they are available now. So if you already got the track list from CDDB, command your media player to get it again. And in case you ripped the CD to your computer, you'll need to re-rip them if you want the corrections. Though the track names may/probably will change once Karl is done with the shoveling, so you may want to wait with the re-ripping part.

Irwin J. Finster
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:54 am »

Man,

you beat me to that  Wink I was just going to work my way trough the CD's and trying to give the mp3's somewhat meaningful names, so that I can find stuff when running them from my portable media player. Just installed winamp to get your tags, but after searching for them winamp can't find them. Any idea what could be wrong?

teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:18 am »

Media players can't pull the CD Database information for MP3's, cddbs doesn't work that way. You can only pull the information for CDs. So if you have the CD's with you, rip them again using a software that can pull information from Gracenote and the new MP3's will be fully taged. iTunes atleast supports that, but it doesn't support MP3, only AAC and Apple Lossless Codec.

Irwin J. Finster
Active Newbie

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:56:04 am »

Thanks for your reply. Do you know any CD-Ripper that can query Gracenote? I really don't want to use Apples Itunes. Is there maybe an Util for Linux (judging from your Avatar)?

Thanks!

teidon
Active Newbie

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:53:03 am »

I have a feeling that Linux community isn't overly interested in supporting Gracenote due to the licensing terms. But WinAmp can rip CDs, so you should be able to do the ripping with it.

redrocketteer
Active Newbie

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 02:56:14 am »

I guess we never got any farther along on this?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: