Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 09:09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Folksong - Now with Sheets  (Read 12020 times)
Amiable

« on: February 08, 2009, 10:05:01 pm »

The "Chinese people" is made up of fifty-some ethnic groups.  This tune is a harvest celebration from the south-west Yao tribe, played on a G-PolyCarbonate ocarina.  The lyrics (which isn't here Smiley ) describes the dance and instument around the fire in the moonlight.

Sound File

Apologies for the quality, both in terms of the recording and the playing.  Both of these are new to me!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:59:37 am by Amiable » Logged
shan

экии!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »

...This tune is a harvest celebration from the south-west Yao tribe, played on a G-PolyCarbonate ocarina. 

Very nice!  I can almost hear the pipa and erhu in my mind...

I have been thinking of how the mountain ocarina could be a great stand-in for the xun...  There are a lot of great Chinese melodies that could be worked out for the ocarina. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:14:12 pm by shan » Logged
Cliff

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »

Amiable,

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing. More please  Smiley

Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:43 pm »

Wow, I thought the playing was excellent, and the recording really wasn't bad at all.  I second Cliff's sentiment: More!

ubizmo

Karl B

Ocarina Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:51:28 am »

Amiable,

That was great.  Make no apologies for such quality. I'll make it a third for more!!

Good playing.

Karl B

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."   --Thomas Jefferson
Amiable

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:10:50 am »

Thanks for the encouragements.  I am completely new to this digital music thingie, and would appreciate some help here after digging through the forums.

(i)  What difference does a microphone make?  (I'm currently using the one on a phone headset; is it worth a 80$ investment?)
(ii)  Is there a reason why people put up YouTube videos as opposed to just a MP3 hosted somewhere?
(iii)  Am I supposed to do anything with the sounds after recording it in Audacity?

Then there's technical (ocarina) questions that I'll post separately in the right forums...

J

shan

экии!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:02 am »

(i)  What difference does a microphone make?  (I'm currently using the one on a phone headset; is it worth a 80$ investment?)
(ii)  Is there a reason why people put up YouTube videos as opposed to just a MP3 hosted somewhere?
(iii)  Am I supposed to do anything with the sounds after recording it in Audacity?

(i) I have no idea (sorry, I'm NO help here)
(ii) The major reason is that it's so easy and, as far as I know, there is no comparably well-known site just for audio. 
(iii) No, as long as you like how it sounds!

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:02:52 am »

Oh thats awesome! Im trying to find sheetmusic and tabs for any Chinese songs I can find as well any suggestions?

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Amiable

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:21:34 am »

Hi Armisis,

I posted a link (and directions) on the "Share musical journey" forums.  Whee, and I thought I was the only one into ethnic music!

Jon

Psoewish
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:35 am »

Thanks for the encouragements.  I am completely new to this digital music thingie, and would appreciate some help here after digging through the forums.

Then there's technical (ocarina) questions that I'll post separately in the right forums...

J

1) I'd say it completely depends on what you want to get out of it. If you feel like your mic is lacking in quality and want to step it up a bit, then invest in a new one. There's no reason to make a big investment if you don't feel it's needed yourself. Smiley

2) Personally, I prefer watching videos over listening to a track. It's just much nicer to see the person playing the song.

3) I have no idea Cheesy

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »

A microphone can make a huge difference, especially for the worse!  I've had constant problems recording the ocarina with various "computer" microphones.  Usually, the problem is distortion and/or loss of detail.  I recently switched to the Nady ribbon mic that Karl recommends, and it's a lot better, although I'm still experimenting with settings.  The one you're using, however, sounds pretty good.  There was a little distortion in the Chinese folk song recording, but the Mozart sight-read sounded very clean, and with good detail.  Whatever you did differently in that one...keep doing.  Maybe you moved the mic boom a little bit further away?  And tell us what headset that is!  It's worth a try for others.

As Psoewish mentioned, we like to gawk at each other.  In addition to that, we like to increase the visibility of Mountain ocarinas, to help the company succeed, so we can keep the pressure on Karl to bring new models to market, such as the extended range ocarina that currently only exists in prototype.  We also have a team of people stalking Karl and giving him dark looks when he leaves his laboratory.

S'up to you.  We have an sporadic debate about the addition of effects such as reverb.  Audacity can also be used to clean noise from a track.

ubizmo

Cliff

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »

Some quick thoughts on (i) above. I put in a separate thread in the recording studio: Is a good external mic worth the investment for recording ocarina?

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:38:16 am »

I think it is worth it if you are going for a really pro sound. If you are just having some fun, I'd stick with a cheap mic or webcam mic. dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Amiable

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:48 am »

...and here's sheet-music for the Dance transposed for the ocarina.  This version isn't quite the same as that in my head (besides timing and rhythm - which I'm notorious for, this version also misses a passage that I'm sure I've heard), but it should give you something to play with.

Dance of the Yaos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: