Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 07, 2020, 06:12:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter motivation  (Read 8919 times)
VTtrish
Active Newbie

« on: October 28, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »

So I got up this morning to start my day as usual (which always includes a walk up the "hill" to practice). I just finished my cleaning chores and am getting the oc and my coat...it's very cold today for some reason. I opened the front door.....dramatic pause.....It's flipping snowing!!!!! The tv said up to 3" which isn't much, but it's a dark gloomy cold day. This is really eating into my motivation.

Does anyone else have a hard time getting motivated for serious practice (or anything structured for that matter) on days like this? I just want to curl up in bed and take a nap. I can't seem to concentrate..... Now that winter is almost (?) here the days will be mostly gloomy and icky like today. This will last until late march, sometimes April. How do the rest of you deal with the "yucky day hum-drums" and still find the urge to play?

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:46:13 pm »

I can definately relate to you on this issue, living in Nebraska in the winter can be pretty gloomy and unmotivating. Smiley To keep myself motivated be sure to eat breakfast and keep your blood sugar up. Force yourself to get up and get ready even if you aren't going anywhere. Never force yourself to play, sometimes it's good to take a break. Sometimes a few days or a week away from your instrument will build your enthusiasm to play, which happens to me if I force myself to practice guitar or whatever and I kinda get burned out on it. don't worry, even if you take a break you won't forget how to play..and that rest may result in added zeal to play and new ideas. It's happened to me on many occasions, and I start to miss playing because I love making music! H/ope this helps a little. Cheers, Daniel

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »

I'm different. I love every season, every wheather condition. The cold and the snow excite me.
I also play under the rain from time to time. If I'm in the right mood, I just love it. Free water from the sky, free music from myself.

cealac
Active Newbie

everybody love the fluffy guy. lucky me ;D ;D

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:12:39 am »

because im from a hot weather country, i dislike winter. that why i prefer stay inside those really cold days. and keeping the sugar leves up. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Everybody love the fluffy guy. Lucky me Grin Grin
1ezmonkey
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:40 am »

I'm the oppisite. I hate the heat. I love it when it's snowing and windy out and find the most motivation at those times. I'm one of those guys that always wears shorts and a t-shirt even when it is 20 degrees out. The thing that makes me lose my will to do anything are those 95 degree days where you sweat just sitting there.

You are the prize your ancestors worked so hard to achive, and you carry inside of you the genes - and therefore the traits - that made them successful.
WinterWonderland
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:10 am »

You should try to force yourself to like winter and then eventually you might start to really like winter. As for me, personally I love winter, but that's just me

clarinetcat

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »

Does anyone else have a hard time getting motivated for serious practice (or anything structured for that matter) on days like this?

Best recomendation I have for practice motivation difficulty (any time of the year) is to not allow yourself to do certain things until you've finished practicing...

Eating is a good one.    Shocked

If I don't allow myself to eat all day, it's pretty assured that I'll make myself practice sometime before the end of the day.  Hunger is a strong motivator.   Grin

A side benefit is you'll have less saliva if you don't eat before practice, and nothing in your stomach allows more effective breathing technique.

"Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

- Hector Berlioz
Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »

Are you serious?

I couldn't do ANYTHING if I'm hungry, not to mention something that require focus. Ouch!

feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 04:12:02 pm »

I agree with Spatolo- needs must be served (along with lunch) before I play any song.

Jaded The Dragon
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:11 am »

Great ideas ladies and gentelmen......   Cool coincidentally olympic athletes utilize a similar technique before competition, a lot of the competitors will not urinate until after they have competed.... as the not eating method previously mentioned works for some of you...   hey food for thought and great minds think alike!

"Nothingness Reveals Everything, Lose Everything Without And Gain Everything Within." - Jaded The Dragon -
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: