Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 29, 2020, 03:58:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Contact Juggling  (Read 16843 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: March 12, 2009, 02:02:57 am »

This falls under the category "Other weird stuff I like."  For those who may not have heard of contact juggling, it's the art of juggling with one or more balls that, for the most part, remain in contact with the juggler's body at all times.  With that description, it doesn't sound much like juggling, I know.  And in a way it isn't that much like conventional juggling--but in a way it is.  Here's a sample of a brilliant CJ player in Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iC3b5JnSIE

I'd love to say that I can do what he does, but I can't; not even close.  This is a lot more difficult than it looks.  And I don't put much time into it.  But I do practice and try to master the basic moves anyway.  I'm a great believer in using the different parts of the brain, and CJ seems to recruit parts that otherwise are dormant.  But mainly it's magical to watch.

ubizmo

Kiniko

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:17:37 am »

.... What don't you do, ubizmo?

Like, seriously. Are you a sword swallower?

Do you carve ice sculptures?

Do you speedrun Portal?

..... Honestly. First time I'd ever heard of contact juggling, actually... looks pretty cool.

ubizmo

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:57:22 pm »

.... What don't you do, ubizmo?

I can't hang drywall.

And you won't see any videos of me contact juggling anytime soon.

ubizmo

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:55 pm »

This made me want to watch Labyrinth...

arcticmouse
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 02:31:48 am »

I love CJ, I practiced the butterfly for a while and my ball got so many cracks in it...  I lived in a concrete basement...   I winced every time I dropped them.

http://www.contactjuggling.com/lessonone.php   is a good site for learning...

ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:56:53 am »

I'm reviving an old topic here because I happened to find this contact juggling video, and it's one of the best performances I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsXDYfnb2M

Now that's some busking!

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:05:01 am »

Great post, thanks!

<just what I need, something ELSE I'd like to learn>   Roll Eyes

"Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

- Hector Berlioz
clarinetcat

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:13:47 am »

Found another one for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFafcjA_p7E

- Hector Berlioz
ubizmo

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:27 am »

That was the first contact juggling I ever saw!  I stumbled on that video and at first couldn't even understand what he was doing!  Were the balls spinning, or somehow magnetized, or what?  From that moment I was hooked on this rather new art.  I still work at it, but frankly I haven't put the time in that it requires.  It looks deceptively simple, but it's very difficult to do even the basic moves cleanly.  The "palm spinning" move that he does so well is very hard to do; I still can't get it right.

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

Where is the best place to purchase acrylic balls at a reasonable price, and is there any specific location you went for beginner instruction?

There is a wiki on contactjuggling.org with YouTube videos listed, anyplace else I should look?

- Hector Berlioz
projectcrazy12
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »

Ubi this is absolutely insane that you dont put videos up on CJ. It looks so cool. I couldnt do it but looks like fun

ubizmo

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:44:31 pm »

Where is the best place to purchase acrylic balls at a reasonable price, and is there any specific location you went for beginner instruction?

There is a wiki on contactjuggling.org with YouTube videos listed, anyplace else I should look?

That whole site has all the information you could want, and a lot more that you probably don't want.  For 1-ball CJ, you want a ball that's at least 3" in diameter.  Anything smaller doesn't have the same effect.  You can expect to pay $25-30 for an acrylic; less for a "hybrid acrylic", but the hybrids are less clear.  http://jugglingstore.com has a selection, but do some looking around; it's been a while since I've bought one.

MoM http://ministryofmanipulation.com also has a lot of information and videos, not limited to strict CJ.

This page, http://www.ministryofmanipulation.com/articles/1-ball-contact/ at MoM links back to the 1-ball tutorials at CJ.org, with the following comment: "Most of the top of the list are by Brinechild, who recommends that you do them in this order: Isolated walk * Isolations * Enigma  * Butterfly * Palm-Cradle Transfer * Fingertip-Palm Transfer * Armcurls * Walking Halfpipe * Palm to palm * Circle …"  brinechild's videos are on YouTube and they are very good.  He breaks the moves down into steps, then puts them together again.

Now for some of my own comments.  I know that the acrylic balls are beautiful and as soon as you see any CJ you want one.  But I'd say don't be in a great rush to get one.  You will be amazed at how difficult it is to do anything without dropping the ball constantly.  If you use an acrylic while learning, it will scratched and nicked fast.  Not only that, you will send the ball hurtling off into space when attempting certain moves, and it can damage walls, TV screens, cabinets, small animals, and your feet.  I started out using one of these: http://www.petco.com/product/9811/KONG-Ball-Dog-Toys.aspx, the 3" model.  It's not great for isolations, especially with the word "Kong" embossed on it, but at least you don't care when you drop it a few thousand times.  You still have to keep away from fragile stuff, however.

I actually have come to prefer metal balls.  They are much lighter than acrylics.  Opinions vary as to whether this is good or bad.  Some say that heavier is better for doing body rolls.  Since I've yet to master any body rolls, and may never do so, I can't comment.  I can say that the lighter ball is less tiring to work with, and visually it's pretty good, if you keep it clean and shiny.  Here's a non-public video from a couple of years ago: http://www.viddler.com/explore/T0dd/videos/70/?secreturl=50646689.  I like to think I'm a little better now, but I'm not much better.  I just don't put enough time into it.  You can get the metal balls pretty cheap at garden supply places.

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:37 pm »

Ubi, thanks for the information, links, and the private video... you sell yourself short, that was quite enjoyable to watch!

CJ might be a nice hobby for me to dabble in for the next 10-20 years.  Tongue

- Hector Berlioz
ubizmo

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:59:56 am »

My CJing in that video is horrendous!  But it is a fun thing to do.  And I'm a believer in challenging the brain with new tasks.  I do enough verbal stuff in my real job, and I have music that engages me, but physically I'm the opposite of graceful, so CJ requires me to move in ways that are completely unnatural to me.  So even though I'm 56, and not likely to become very good at it, it feels worthwhile.

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:22:56 am »

Hmmm...

Not sure whether to thank you or curse you for getting me interested in this, Ubi...

It's WAY harder than it looks.   Tongue

- Hector Berlioz
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: