Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 29, 2020, 03:53:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Contact Juggling  (Read 16842 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 03:10:14 pm »

You can thank me now and curse me later.  Or vice versa.

Yeah, it's mind-boggling how difficult even the simplest-looking moves are.  It's the juggling equivalent of T'ai Chi.

Ubizmo

projectcrazy12
Active Newbie

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:29 am »

haha very good ninja ubi

FredDooolie

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

For those who may not have heard of contact juggling

You also juggle and speak Esperanto. Me too*. Too bad for me you're a guy. Uh....you got an available sister between 21 and 35?  Grin

* [Fred's lying. The balls usually fly everywhere and the best he can do is "Esperanglish"]

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
ubizmo

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 12:44:46 am »

I was trying some CJ today. It was a train wreck. I need to use the 2-minute method, but carrying around a 4-inch stainless steel ball is a challenge.

Ubizmo

Iahan
Active Newbie

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 05:05:36 pm »

I'm more of a "traditional" juggler (clubs, balls, diabolo, rings, etc.) and I've only tried a bit of contact juggling. I can't seem to get the hang of it. You're right! It IS much harder than it looks! I only know one guy here in Lincoln, NE that is any good at it... more power to you!

Moka
Active Newbie

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:21 am »

Hooray! A thread I can join in on!

Happy to answer any questions about contact juggling, been doing it for 5 years, perform, teach and just generally have lots of fun with it  Grin Cheesy

If you're after videos of awesome stuff check out www.ministryofmanipulation.com it's a blog site run by some good mates of mine =)
Enjoy!

-Moka

black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

Moka, do you have any videos of you juggling to share with us?  I think I can speak for more than just me when I say we'd love to see them.

The video on your buddies' site was great - like contact juggling with the whole body, or was the ball juggling the guy?

Moka
Active Newbie

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »

I'm rather looking forward to making some... Hopefully getting a shiny new video camera for christmas... lol Then the videos will flow...  Tongue

Some of the stuff on Ministry is amazing... I'm good... They're significantly better Tongue

I did however wish to share a video of someone I consider to be my mentor and a really good mate; Ed Adams (also a Member of the Ministry)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksbYBPEQAJg

He successfully combines Popping and locking and a style of wave-dancing known as 'windstyle' with his isolation contact juggling and has really helped me take my CJ to the next level.

Enjoy

-Moka

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:21:07 pm by Moka » Logged
black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 01:15:20 am »

Wow, I did enjoy that very much.  Ed Adams is something.  He has such a meditative style - it seemed like he was hanging out with those spherical life forms and they were friends.

What is "isolation" contact juggling?  Is it that he was out in nature with no crowds around?  Certainly that made it seem all the more magical, him being in such a beautiful location. 

It's fabulous to have such control over isolated muscle groups like that - is that the "windstyle"?

I'm looking forward to you getting your video camera for Christmas. Smiley

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:35 am »

haha, how odd, first time reading this thread, and about two weeks ago after about 60 days in a hotel, I got bored and got a CJ ball to try to learn, after about 30 min i realized the 100's of times the ball went thud on the floor of my 2nd floor hotel room that I'd need somewhere better to try to figure this thing out... So far I can not do anything but drop it....

haha

dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
ubizmo

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:25 pm »

What is "isolation" contact juggling?  Is it that he was out in nature with no crowds around?  Certainly that made it seem all the more magical, him being in such a beautiful location. 

Isolation is one of the simplest, but also most difficult, techniques in CJ.  An isolation is when the sphere is held motionless, or nearly so, and the juggler moves his/her hands or body around it.  One of the most common, and hypnotic, and difficult to perform isolations is the palm isolation, in which the juggler's hand moves beneath the sphere, and the sphere stays in place.  This guy does some perfect palm isolations, about 20 secs in, and in fact all of his CJ work is stunning.

Ubizmo

Moka
Active Newbie

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 08:21:34 am »

Perfect description of isolation, The Palm iso is one I've worked a lot on, the most amazing would have to be Pich who is on the DVD 'In Isolation' his palm isolations are the closest to perfect I've seen... He is one I lament not meeting my last time in Europe...

My concentration at the moment has been my balance points... While I was in Berlin I got to train with Declan Mee, an amazing Irish juggler (toss juggling) who has some of the best balance skills around... So my head and forehead balances are getting a major workout... I'm very close to being able to balance a ball on my head indefinitely...

Once I get my camera my Isolations are gonna get amazing training... Record and playback to get them crisp and clean... And throw some footage together for a couple of videos...

After hanging with Ed meditative is the perfect way to describe him... We just hung out in Berlin, contact juggling all the time with a steady supply of spliffs and coming up with some nice new takes on old isolations...

Windstyle is a style of waving, like you're being blown in the Wind created by AragoRn aka. Bishop... He is master to Ed as Ed is master to me... lol

Thought I'd leave you guys with a few more vids...

Bishop - Windstyle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmR3xjlWOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_i6IuytXOg
Declan Mee - Headcase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_OciMZEgA
Jyoti - One of the single most insane head balancers ever... I will never be at his level... But hey I can work on it =P
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cx3v_indian-dragon-ball_creation

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:26:51 am by Moka » Logged
ubizmo

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

The Jyoti video is amazing.

I haven't spent much time on CJ in recent months, and in any case I have no ambitions to become great.  I think it's an incredibly beautiful art form, but also somehow beneficial to do.  You can just feel how it uses parts of the brain that don't normally get used.  I generally play with a 4 inch stainless steel sphere, which is much lighter than the acrylics.  I can't yet do any stalls or body rolls at all, let alone head rolls.  But of course, like music, it doesn't come unless you put the time in.

Head Roll Lesson.  Brinechild's videos are very good, and helpful.

Ubizmo

Moka
Active Newbie

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:31 am »

It's exactly as you said... Takes Time, luckily it's the art form I have amazing amounts of time for...
Hopefully I can put my balls down long enough to pick out another musical instrument... =S

I play with a 4 or 5 inch stage ball normally for isolations and body rolls etc... The multiball has to be acrylics, they're so nice to palmspin... =) I occasionally use an acrylic for single ball stuff like isolations but it's getting rarer and rarer recently...

Thanks for the link... Brinechild isn't too bad... Has some good vids for beginners =)

Iahan
Active Newbie

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »

So, what does everyone think of the "Fushigi" balls? Contact Juggling for wannabes? Or a way to introduce people to contact juggling?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: