Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 30, 2020, 06:48:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina, hope for those with carpal tunnel!  (Read 7363 times)
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« on: November 03, 2008, 03:37:51 am »

Hey all,
   I get really frustrated when i practice guitar a lot and my wrist starts hurting to the point where it's just not possible to play. Usually I have to take several days off until it feels better. I started to really notice the problem playing elec. bass fingerstyle maybe 5 years ago and it would really be painful to play.
    There is hope:
   now that I have my mountain ocarina I can still play tunes without pain. I think it's just the way you hold the ocarina to play (transverse of course) that doesn't put any strain on my wrists. It's pretty cool because I used to get so frustrated and even feel depressed because I couldn't play music due to this
condition..especially when you love to make music as I do..work with your hands..etc

My point is that I found an instrument I can play even when keyboard, guitar, and everything else is just not possible. Thanks for the awesome mountain ocarina guys! there is hope for us injured musicians Smiley daniel

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Cliff

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:42:35 pm »

Thanks for letting us know of your experience with our ocarinas and carpal tunnel. I had not heard that before.

-Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:48:39 am »

Daniel, that is great news! At least a couple of times, people have called me to ask whether they could play Mountain Ocarinas with carpal tunnel syndrome.  I've told them that I thought they could, based on my own experiences, but I wasn't sure. (Of course, I invited them to try our ocarinas risk free.) Thanks for sharing this, Daniel!

Is there anyone else who suffers from carpal tunnel and doesn't mind sharing their experiences?

By the way, when Rick Handville and I were practicing for the "Variations on Greensleeves" video, I wanted to play through it several times. (We only met twice before we recorded: once to work out an arrangement and then again to record.) Honestly, if it were up to me, we would have played through the jig section a couple dozen times before recording, but after four times, Rick complained that his fingers hurt. It was time to record! (In his defense, Rick did a late gig the night before and didn't get to sleep until 4 am.) I pointed out to Rick, as humbly as I could Smiley, that ocarina players don't get tired. In a pinch, we could play all day long without a break.

Secretagentdan

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:58:07 am »

Karl,
  I'm glad someone has finally replied to this topic! Smiley I though I was the only one with this issue who had found some relief in playing the transverse ocarina! I still have a lot of problems with my wrists and I definately can tell when I've played guitar too much.
I quit playing elec bass and that was probably the worst on my carpal tunnel, playing pianos also gets painful as well. For some reason the way you hold and play the mo does not cause this pain to occur as it does with a lot of other instruments. I'm curious to hear anyone else's thought on this! Take it easy , Dan

Ethan
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:29 am »

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I was suffering from the cubital or carpal tunnel syndrome too.

FYI, cubital tunnel syndrome is compression or traction of the ulnar nerve at the elbow and carpal tunnel syndrome is compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel in the wrist.

I got it while doing road bike riding. I could not understand what was happening to me as my pinky and ring finger were completely numb. I could not even pull them together (I did not have the Ocarina at that time). I spent a fair bit of time browsing the web trying to understand what was happening to me. I caught it mainly because I was staying in a single position on the bike for too long.

While looking for a solution to this problem, I came across something called the powerball. Have a look at it here (http://www.powerballs.com/). I bought one and tried it for a few weeks. Slowly I noticed that I started to regain control of my fingers. I bought another powerball with the counter this time. It is so much fun playing with that thing. Be careful, it is addictive!  Smiley

My problem with the cubital/carpal tunnel syndrome is completely gone now. Everyday I exercise with the powerball for a few minutes, particularly as a stretching exercise for my arm and wrist after a bike ride. It will help for the ocarina also, for sure.

I encourage you to try it. It works for me  Wink Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers
Ethan

shan

экии!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:42:39 am »

Yessir, the powerball is great.  I got one a year ago and it helped me with a problem I was having with my fret fingers (I play mandolin, too).  Highly recommended.  Might take a while for you to get the hang of it, but it's a great little therapeutic device. 

Secretagentdan

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:01:58 pm »

Thanks for the input Ethan and Shan!
  I saved that powerball link, I think I'll try to get one of those. I pretty much put up my mandolin speaking of that, it just kills my hand/wrist, those tiny little frets. I loosened the strings and put it in the closet for the time being. I think I'll sell it if I can get a reasonable offer. It's a great instrument but egonomically it's not compatible with my hands and wrists.
   I've been playing the ukulele a lot since it's easy to fret etc. I still have my electric guitar but I tend to play pretty busily on it and that's what causes the trouble.
   Thanks again guys, I'll check out that site! Dan

shan

экии!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »

It's a great instrument but egonomically it's not compatible with my hands and wrists.
Yeah, I had some wrist problems when I started playing the mando.  In addition to -or in place of- the powerball, you might try one of those squeezy things rock climbers use to power up their grips.  Those are great. 

Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:51:33 am »

Interesting, I thought that the powerball could make problems to hands and wrists even worse!
Now I'll look into it to. Perhaps it will be helpful in building strenght for climbing too.. (?)

OcarinaPlayer123
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:45:48 am »

I know what your saying, Secretagentdan. That is one reason I gave up on the guitar. My finger joints just couldn't take it. No problems with playing my MO's.  Smiley

Secretagentdan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:19:49 pm »

Thanks for your input Ocarinaplayer123, It's nice to know there are others out there who have had this experience! Peace, Dan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: