Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 07, 2020, 06:16:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Clubô.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty getting the low notes  (Read 26683 times)
4efs

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »

Here, here... How does he do that?.....
..And how ever does one do that soft sort of drop off the note thing.  I try and I try and my note ends are either truncated or wobbly, just ugh, so exasperating.

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
kypfer

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »

How does he do that?..... ..And how ever does one do that soft sort of drop off the note thing.
... practice ... practice ... practice - as if you needed to be reminded  Wink
It's primarily a case of being so familiar with the tune as to not have to think about which note comes next, but how it's going to sound ... and having sufficient breath left to make it sound right! This,of course, means you have to ensure you breath correctly throughout the tune. If you start to "run out of breath" you're bound to get poor sounding notes, because you're not blowing hard enough. I find it a good guide to have enough breath left at the end of a tune to say "yeah" when I've got it right  Cool
It can be good practice to make "breath marks" in pencil (you may want to move them later) on your music to remind you when to breathe, until you know the tune well enough to not need them.
Good luck  Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notesóbut not necessarily in the right order."
4efs

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 01:07:14 am »

Thanks   ...I think... Undecided
 For me sufficient breath is probably even more of an issue than all the rest--(as if all those others weren't enough)
Yes, marking the breaths..thanks for the reminder--- but then there are those songs-- where in the world do you breathe in the Snowy Breasted Pearl? Or Bridget Cruise?Huh I'm putting those to the back of my book.  I get so winded and end up gasping, and that's in the first phrase....

I can't even come up with anything close to what I want when just trying with a single note.  So, it's  only the breath?  Don't you maybe do something with the fingers like pull them up off the holes? gently close off the airflow with the tongue? stand on your left foot and tilt your head to the right?.... Anything besides starting on an excercise program just so I can play Bridget Cruise...

Wow, talk about the ability of music to change your life...

Harp Player

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:56 am »

I wish I could offer some advice on the breathing thing, but I just do it now and I don't think about how I do it.  I guess that comes with playing a harmonica for so many years, although it is different with the harmonica because you actually get to inhale while playing a note on the harmonica.

kypfer

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 07:55:56 am »

Don't you maybe do something with the fingers like pull them up off the holes? gently close off the airflow with the tongue? stand on your left foot and tilt your head to the right?
... probably all these things as well, but you still need to have sufficient breath pressure at the beginning of the note so's you can end the note as and when you want. If you're running out of breathe, so your tone gets "truncated or wobbly" you simply got it wrong  Wink
I just had a quick listen listen to "Bridget Cruise" from the "Mountain Myst" recordings, it's not a tune I'm familiar with, (nice, though). Don't let the reverb on the Ocarina track and the piano backing fool you. There's a brief breathe space every four bars, just after the "long note"  Shocked

EDIT --
I've just re-read your post ... as one does ... it occurs to me that you may be mistaking "artificially introduced reverberation" with cleverly-played notes. Most woodwind instruments, the ocarina especially, have little or no scope for varying the volume of a note without varying it's pitch ... it's the simple laws of physics. Notes that fade away without varying in pitch are very unlikely to have been played like that. More likely they were played "normally" then the volume was adjusted on the recording, or the applied reverb (echo, ambience, call it what you will) caused the perceived sustain. The traditional "side-blown" flute can be an exception here, as the "blow-hole" can be moved slightly with respect to the air-stream, not something that can be achieved in a "fipple-flute", like an ocarina, whistle, recorder etc.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:28:47 pm by kypfer » Logged

4efs

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:05 pm »

SERIOUSLY?!   edited in?

Ugh... Now I'm just well, ...wow...speechless...

Thanks tons for the help with the breathing on the Bridget Cruise tune though, I'll practice it more carefully that way.

(shaking head)...Smoke and mirrors...man, and I thought it was truly magic.... Sigh....

Later:
Nope..it is real.  I double checked it and Ubizmo, Karl and  Kissing88 all do it even when there's no recording augmentation.  I feel a lot better now, better break out the treadmill....

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:31:07 am by 4efs » Logged

Scott Maness

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 01:46:55 pm »

I don't seem to have as much trouble on playing the low B or C on my poly C.  By changing the breath pressure or speed of blowing it seems to work.  At first it helped me to mentally think B or C while I was playing.  It really helps if you can play along with someone else or your self recorded. 

HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:32 pm »

At first I had problems with sufficient air in my lungs to blow and on the other hand my bodys need for oxygen. (Blowing is slower than breathing)

So I remembered the times I was diving with just stopped breath. The body has to learn that more hemoglobine is needed to transport the oxygen so less breath is required. You can train this by just stopping your breath. Start sitting and progress with activities.

Here is how I trained my breath for the ocarina:
First, take a walk, not too fast. Now count your steps. Breath in with your mouth counting to three, breath out counting to ten. Eventually you can progress to 12 or even 15. You will get out of breath sooner or later, so make short breaks breathing normal then continue.
Second, when you achieved enough progress, play a simple song on the ocarina while walking, have a break if neccessary.

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
4efs

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 06:12:11 pm »

HawkeyeMcFly,
Thanks very much for this, I'm starting to get really disgusted by my inability to finish out a phrase the way I want! WAH! Angry

Scott Maness

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

I feel a lot better now, better break out the treadmill....

Smiley 

I'm starting to get really disgusted by my inability to finish out a phrase the way I want! WAH!

I understand.  I have the same problem!  Even being full of hot air doesn't help me.   Smiley

Scott Maness

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:26 am »

I don't seem to have as much trouble on playing the low B or C on my poly C.

Ok, I know what you all are talking about now.  I picked up my Poly C today (after only playing on my new warmstone G for several days) and had trouble hitting the low notes.  After a few moments of playing I was controlling my breath pressure again.  The G does not seem to be as sensitive to this issue, although I find that on my G I have to blow harder on some of the high notes to make them sound the best. 

My solution is to play regularly on both.   Smiley

For any struggling with this issue, just keep working on it and don't give up.   Smiley

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 01:11:52 am »

I have really small fingers, and my pinkies aren't very strong yet. Sometimes when I'm playing high notes, and I
used my right pinky to to brace my WarmStone, and I'm playing a high E using L2 alone, I push the ocarina down, I lose my grip and it falls right in the middle of a song  Roll Eyes HOW HUMBLING! Not to mention klutzy! (sometimes I do it on the D too.  SIGH...

4efs

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:35 pm »

You are definitely not alone! I fumble mine too, often- I just have to laugh. Roll Eyes More practice... Shocked
I find that I tend to fumble it worst when a song has a different approach or exit from the E, until I've got sufficient time invested LOL! I mean here I am slaving er... happily practicing 318 celtic songs- (and I've gone through a number of 'em now, y'know) and low and behold I'm working on The Musical Priest and the thing is leaping out of my hands left and right, pretty humorous!

kypfer

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »

I'm working on The Musical Priest and the thing is leaping out of my hands left and right
... the mind boggles  Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin

4efs

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »

... the mind boggles  Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin
[/quote]

Awww, now you're just pickin on me! Tongue  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: