Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
December 21, 2014, 03:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $20 Hurdy-Gurdy's and Other DIY Awesomeness!  (Read 4779 times)
noahsummers

« on: March 29, 2009, 03:07:26 AM »

While looking for a reasonably priced low D tin whistle, I came across this guy, who shows how to make your own; he makes all kinds of instruments out of cheap hardware stuff (even a bagpipe!) and gives all the plans away on his webpage!  If you scroll down to the bottom, there's a labeled photo of him with most of the creations.

(The description of this video names all the instruments shown.)

The two I want to try out are the "$20 Hurdy Gurdy" and the "Conduit Tubing Xylophone" (to replace my - what I perceive to be - rather poor-quality glockenspiel).  If you don't know what a Hurdy Gurdy is, I must enlighten you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4y7HNW972M&feature=related

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »

For a very reasonably priced low D whistle, check out Guido Gonzato's web site: http://www.ggwhistles.com/index.html.  I have a mid-range G whistle that he made, and it's terrific.

Ubizmo

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »

Wow!!! Love the hurdy gurdy, just wish a nice one wasnt so over priced!!! hahaha way way to over priced for what it is. hehe

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
noahsummers

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »

Ubizmo: Thanks for the link!  $60-something is still a bit much for me and my near-empty pockets, so maybe I'll try making one. Grin

Armisis: I wouldn't say Hurdy-Gurdy's are overpriced; the high-end ones are often real works of art, just like violins or fancy ocarinas.  If I spent all that time crafting one by hand I'd charge someone a couple thousand for it too! Tongue

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »

Good point, and your right, I'm just to use to companies that chunk out things mass produced that look hand made and all and then charge as if it was but your right.

Dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
Nephiel

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

I've seen that instrument before in Galicia, they call it zanfona. I love how it sounds.

A good song featuring a zanfona is A Bruxa as performed by Milladoiro on their album A Galicia de Maeloc.
If you like celtic and medieval folk music, I heartily recommend to check them out.

Armisis: I wouldn't say Hurdy-Gurdy's are overpriced; the high-end ones are often real works of art, just like violins or fancy ocarinas.  If I spent all that time crafting one by hand I'd charge someone a couple thousand for it too! Tongue
I'd say a zanfona is actually harder to make than a violin... there are a lot of mechanisms and moving parts involved.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:25:55 PM by Nephiel » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: