Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 15, 2019, 01:53:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubizmo's check list  (Read 86091 times)
Wake of Eden
Active Newbie

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:05 am »

I really enjoy your song choices. I especially liked "She's Got A Way"!

Mikael
Active Newbie

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 10:10:30 am »

Being Norwegian I can't wait for your Grieg performance. In the hall of the mountain king is a very fun song.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:55 pm »

The Grieg is still in the queue, as is "Someone to Watch Over Me."  But not forgotten.  Meanwhile, I've been listening to some Nightwish.  Anybody got any suggestions for some Nightwish that I could somehow tease out of a MO?

Ubizmo

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 11:19:39 pm »

Did you say NIGHTWISH??!!!
They are one of my favorite bands!!!!
I had a cover of "Wish I Had an Angel" on my channel but it got disabled for copyright issues...
Otherwise, almost anything from the "Oceanborn", "Once", or even "Dark Passion Play" albums would be AWESOME!!
On the mellower side, there is one I particularly like called "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" that fits pretty good in the range of the C MO; or there is also the newer "Eva" that I'm sure would sound divine...
ARGH!! Too many choices!!

Anyway...good luck and I hope they don't delete yours if you use a backing track!

ubizmo

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 12:37:46 am »

Did you say NIGHTWISH??!!!
They are one of my favorite bands!!!!

I did indeed say Nightwish!  I'm trying to expand my horizons... When I did the Van Morrison "Moondance," I discovered a Nightwish song of the same title, listened to it and liked it.  I've since listened to some of their other music, and it's good stuff.  It's mostly not ideal for ocarina, but then neither is Coldplay, but I managed to squeeze out a cover of one of their songs.  But I'm still dabbling, so I thought others would know more and have suggestions.

I had a cover of "Wish I Had an Angel" on my channel but it got disabled for copyright issues...
Otherwise, almost anything from the "Oceanborn", "Once", or even "Dark Passion Play" albums would be AWESOME!!

Was that an actual album track, or a midi?  I found this web site: http://nightwishmidis.site.voila.fr/index.html, with a lot of midis that I could use--and so could you!  I don't know if they'd object to use of midi covers as backing tracks.  Only one way to find out...

On the mellower side, there is one I particularly like called "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" that fits pretty good in the range of the C MO; or there is also the newer "Eva" that I'm sure would sound divine...
ARGH!! Too many choices!!

Thanks, I'll have a listen to those.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 12:41:38 am »

This wasn't on my check list, but I've been meaning to play it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtrq0Yo9o0

As I said in the description, I was hoping to do it in kind of Aaron Neville style.  It didn't work out that way; I think the backing track was too classical.  So...there it is.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 10:54:59 pm »

Another one not from the check list, but I just got an urge to do something a little off the beaten path.  I don't know how many people are familiar with Kitaro.  I'd love to play his "Silk Road," but I've yet to find a decent backing track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wYZZdl5EaU

Ubizmo

Lord Oblivion

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02:34 pm »

Was that an actual album track, or a midi?  I found this web site: http://nightwishmidis.site.voila.fr/index.html, with a lot of midis that I could use--and so could you!  I don't know if they'd object to use of midi covers as backing tracks.  Only one way to find out...

It was an album track so that's probably why (but there are many other covers of this very song still on Youtube using the same MP3)
Thanks for the site; maybe I'll do another cover... but I doubt it because metal in midi doesn't sound very good...

ubizmo

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »

This song is from my meta-check list: the list I have in my head of songs that I've been meaning to put on my check list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11FqPh5HX4.

I've been meaning to try another jazz tune for a while, so this is it.  There's a wobble in the middle but I was otherwise happy with this take, so...it stays.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

This morning I thought of another great song to play.  It's "Easy To Be Hard," from "Hair."  Yes, of course it's so old that no one will remember it, but it's beautiful.  It doesn't fit on the ocarina, however.  The bridge goes out of range.  I tried dropping the bridge down an octave, and that works, but with this song doing so definitely damages it.  So...I think this will be one for recorder or sax.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:02 am »

Hmm...this wasn't on the check list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zsWVH2A6e8

I need to check my check list more often.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 10:45:47 pm »

Okay, I just thought of a song that I have to play: "Oye Como Va" by Santana, another golden oldie.  But I just played it on Youtube and played along, and it's an absolute gas to play on the MO.  So...onto the check list it goes.

Ubizmo

AzKiteMan

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 06:22:58 am »

2.  Edvard Grieg, "In the Hall of the Mountain King."  This doesn't fit on a single MO, but I think I can work out a two part version, with split-screen video, that would work.  This will be a big project.

I hope you have a couple extra 2-octave ocarinas, this is quite a challenge without range. THis is a challenge on my clarinet...

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
ubizmo

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

2.  Edvard Grieg, "In the Hall of the Mountain King."  This doesn't fit on a single MO, but I think I can work out a two part version, with split-screen video, that would work.  This will be a big project.

I hope you have a couple extra 2-octave ocarinas, this is quite a challenge without range. THis is a challenge on my clarinet...

I'll hack it to bits to get it to work!

Meanwhile....another tune goes on my check list: "Dust in the wind," by Kansas.

Ubizmo

noahsummers

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

Meanwhile....another tune goes on my check list: "Dust in the wind," by Kansas.

Neat, my dad's been wanting me to learn that for a while now! Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: