Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 29, 2020, 04:35:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Loving Your Neighbor Means Controlling Your Sound  (Read 74757 times)
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« on: April 23, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »

A couple of weeks ago, Ubi invited us to talk via Paltalk. It was great to speak to folks in real time. During that group conversation, some of our number mentioned that there were times when they couldn't play their ocarinas because they might bother housemates or neighbors. I've created a fairly soundproof area in my home for practicing and recording, so I said I would share some ideas about this on the forum.

I have started this topic so that we can share ideas about how to control sound. I’ve been thinking and studying about this a great deal in the last couple of weeks.

By the way, here is an interesting link on sound control.  (I meant to include several others, but my computer is acting up and I’m about to leave for a trip.) http://www.nonoise.org/hearing/noisecon/noisecon.htm 

A Few General Thoughts about Noise

First of all, what is noise? When I was a child, my Dad (a weed scientist) explained that a weed is simply a plant in an undesired location. A beautiful flower becomes a weed when it pokes its “ugly” head up through your neat gravel patio. In the same way, noise is merely unwanted sound, no matter how beautiful that sound may be. My neighbor may love a certain CD, but when he cranks up his stereo loud enough so that I have to listen to his “beautiful music” through the walls of my home, he is creating noise. 

Timing Is Everything

At certain times and in certain places, sound is more welcome than others.  If I play a song on my ocarina as part of a church service, people might weep with joy. If I play my ocarina in the park, folks have been known to gather around in appreciation. If I play that same song at 10 pm in my hotel room, I can expect an angry knock on my door.

I say all this because people sometimes grow insecure about their playing because others complain about the noise. Don’t be discouraged! Think about it! Even if your favorite recording artist were to move in next door, you’d quickly grow tired of their music if you had to listen to him or her practicing the same song, over and over, through the thin walls of your apartment at all hours of the night.

There Is a Way!

So, what should we do if we live in a thin-walled apartment or surrounded by people who object to undesired music (i.e., noise)? Should we sigh, throw up our hands, and conclude that we are not destined to play a musical instrument? By no means! Where there is a will, there is a way. Once we decide that we really want to play an instrument, we can always find ways to control the sound. Let’s talk about that together.

Best wishes,

Karl

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:29:59 pm by Cliff » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:33:04 pm »

I'm about to leave for a trip, so Cliff will have to post my TRASH BARREL SOUND BOOTH video here.  Because I was so rushed, I filmed this with a tiny Casio digital camera which I held myself. If you watch in full screen, you may experience mild motion sickness. Grin

Because of ventilation issues, etc., creating a full sound booth can be an expensive, elaborate project. The Trash Barrel Booth is just one example of a simple, effective, fairly inexpensive solution to the noise problem... and it would probably fit into even a small bedroom. If requested, I can provide ample details.  However, I think that my next video (A SOUND CONTROL BOX) would probably be a better solution for many folks.

Karl

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:31:01 pm by Cliff » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »

A SOUND CONTROL BOX

Again, I’m about to leave for a trip. (Many thanks to my wonderfully patient wife who waits while I type this!) If this video is not up yet, Cliff will post it for me as soon as he is able. As I stay in hotels this coming week, I’ll be testing and tweaking this idea. This is a simple, economical, and extremely portable method that has some real promise.

Karl

P.S. I'm writing this from the hotel now. (We checked to see if the videos were up yet.) About the box... I forgot to mention that we could put a clear acrylic plate on the front of the box if someone felt they NEEDED to see their hands. Acrylic is a fairly poor transmitter of sound.  Also, I think I mistakenly said condenser when I was referring to the camera's compresser.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:31:30 pm by Cliff » Logged
Kiniko

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:50 am »

A SOUND CONTROL BOX
(Many thanks to my wonderfully patient wife who waits while I type this!)

Wait, your wife was waiting for you to go somewhere, and you STILL thought you had time to type things in brackets? Come on, Karl!

On an unrelated note, Ime very happy bout this thread, being on of the people in question from the paltalk. Along with playing ocarina, Im concidering renting a saxaphone soon, so any measures to prevent noise will be great.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:00:45 pm »

I like the portable Cone of Silence!  I'm thinking you could put the acoustic foam right over the hand holes, and just cut 'X' slits to let your hands in.  I'm also thinking about a way to use some plastic aquarium tubing to make a flexible mouthpiece extension.  In fact, this is something I've thought about anyway, apart from the sound control issue.  They have these extension tubes for melodicas, and I think it's a cool idea.  If I feel like playing my ocarina in some other position than right up to my lips, why not?  It's just a question of finding a simple way to attach the tube to the ocarina.  This could be a new MO accessory!  With a flexible extension tube, it would be much easier to use the Box of Silence!

Ubizmo

onewhohopes

Kayaking!

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:32:22 pm »

It sounds like both of them work great. I will definitely be trying to help think of ways to do it differently.  Smiley

Vivu Esperanto!
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:19:30 pm »

Hi, I just returned from my back to back trips, 1st to Massachussets and then to Georgia.  Here is a video of me playing my ocarina inside my improved sound control box in a Georgia hotel. I had some friends listen in outside the door of my room, and this solution definitely works.  I'd like to tweak it in some of the following areas:

• A smaller, lighter box that is easier to pack
  • A more flexible tube for blowing comfort
  • I'd like to experiment with the most natural hand postion
  • Etc.

This short video is worth watching if you are looking for an easy way to play quietly on the road or at home.

Hopefully we will post the video here very soon.

Karl

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:44:15 am by Karl » Logged
armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »

Maybe looking at this will aim towards an Ocarina version ??

http://www.sax.co.uk/e-sax.htm

I love what your doing here would love something that is usable with any Ocarina, and that would open up a full new market as well!
<GRIN>

all the best

dave

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
dereks

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02:18 am »

I have two questions. 

First, where can I order some of that accoustic foam?  I've had a difficult time finding it.  I haven't been able to locate it in Utah, so I know I have to order it online or something.  Everyplace I've found seems to be a little pricey. 

Second, About your box, I was wondering.  I work in an industrial environment.  We have a sand blaster with gloves attached to the outside of the "box", sealing the dust inside and making it so you can manipulate the objects inside the box as well.  Maybe this would work with the "Oca-box" (forgive me for the lame name).  Rubber gloves attached to the outside of the box, poking inward would further stop sound from escaping and still make it so you could cover the holes and play.  It would make it harder to feel the holes, but what do y'all think? 

I'll look for small containers at work that could be modified into a silencer.  I travel extensively.  A compact, packable box would be perfect for me.  Just big enough for my hands and ocarina.  I could play every evening!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:47:25 am »

Second, About your box, I was wondering.  I work in an industrial environment.  We have a sand blaster with gloves attached to the outside of the "box", sealing the dust inside and making it so you can manipulate the objects inside the box as well.  Maybe this would work with the "Oca-box" (forgive me for the lame name).  Rubber gloves attached to the outside of the box, poking inward would further stop sound from escaping and still make it so you could cover the holes and play.  It would make it harder to feel the holes, but what do y'all think? 

You could use the gloves with most of the fingers cut off.

But I actually think it would be easier to cover the hand holes in the OcaBox (perfect name!) with the foam, and just cut 'X' slits in the foam, to let the hands in.  Or, cut circular holes a bit smaller than the hand, so the hands could push through and the foam would seal around the wrists.

Ubizmo

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:34 am »

Hi guys,

Freedom to play any time of the day or night in a lonely hotel room, a thin-walled apartment, or a crowded home is exciting!

As far as weighted vinyl, acoustic foam, etc., I have a great source. The drawback is that they don't sell in small quantities. However, I am open to the idea of buying materials in larger lots and then making them available at a reasonable price.  

Also, we are still perfecting this "cone of silence" idea, so I suggest holding off on spending money until we get a more definitive design. Of course, if you want to experiment too, that would be great! When we do have an excellent design, I imagine we could either provide kits at a reasonable price (which would save folks money because we could buy in bulk) or we could post plans and sources for materials on our site so that you could do it yourself.  

Dereks, I like your idea about the sandblaster gloves. We have a couple sandblasters, so I had thought of the same thing. I'm not sure it would work, though. Gloves tend to be hot and sweaty, and they usually don't provide enough finger tip sensitivity to feel and seal toneholes. Ubi mentioned cutting an X in some foam, which is another excellent suggestion, but I fear that the delicate foam might get torn up too easily. I'll give these ideas a try and see how they work out.  The box actually worked very well as pictured in my last "Hotel Room" video, but I want to try a few more things before I suggest to anyone that they buy anything.  By the way, "Oca-box" is NOT a lame name.  Personally, I was thinking "Ocbox" or "Ocsbox"...

Armisis, thanks for that video link. All this feedback is helpful.

Hasta pronto.

Karl

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:45:40 am by Karl » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 01:17:24 am »

Ubi, you and I posted simultaneously (you a bit before I), so that's why my last comments don't encompass your most recent post.

Gloves with fingers cut off is another super idea that I'll check out.  Acoustic foam seems to rip easily, but smaller foam circles around wrists and X-shaped cuts in the foam are two ideas that I will test.

Perhaps I could use only the wrist portion of gloves to prevent the delicate foam from ripping as we repeatedly insert and withdraw our hands through the foam circles or "X-holes."  Ultimately, I'm aiming for a simple design that will be effective, comfortable, affordable, and durable. 

My son Dan, who needs this computer, tells me that it is time to say goodbye. Cheesy

Goodbye! Thanks again to all.

Karl

Spatolo

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 01:42:49 am »

Thanks to Karl for those MORE than smart ideas and experiments and to every contributor to the thread. And thanks to Cliff to pointing me to it!

About cutting the fingers of the gloves, maybe worth considering using gloves, but cutting the whole... hands? I mean, leaving the arms sealed only up to the wrists. The hands could sweat less that way rather than freeing only the fingertips.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:23 am »

Hi, Spatolo, I appreciate you mentioning that idea about cutting off the HANDS of the gloves.  That’s what I meant to say in my previous post, but you have said it more clearly. If gloves are to work at all, I think we would cut the hand portion off and use only the wrist portion to protect the foam and to prevent sound from escaping out of the hand holes. Just as in the case of a sand blaster, the wrist section of the gloves would seal around the hand holes.

I'll try to make a smaller Ocsbox later this week that will incorporate some of the suggestions you guys are making. Thanks!

Karl

Spatolo

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:11:34 am »

My poor english understanding came back with me Smiley

Can't wait to see your new results!

Thanks so much!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: