Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 03:08:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: One-handed Instrument  (Read 19777 times)
Amiable

« on: May 11, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »

Hey all...

I'm wondering if anyone know of a (cheap) instrument that can be played with one hand (preferably the left)? 

I do magic on the side, and lately have realized that I have enough material that can be executed with only one hand.  This opens the door to choreographing a performance to music played with the other hand... "the magic ocarina" Wink  Does anyone know of instruments that can be played with one hand - besides the very expensive one-handed recorders?

Jon

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:08:33 pm »

I'm wondering if anyone know of a (cheap) instrument that can be played with one hand (preferably the left)?

Hi Jon,

You could play a tabor pipe with one hand while performing magic.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_and_Tabor

Also, I'm not suggesting that you do this, but if you tape the left thumb hole and top three left-hand toneholes on Mountain Ocarinas, then you can use only your right hand to play a chromatic range of do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, and even a strained upper do in some cases by blowing loudly. (One way to play "la" is by covering only the right index finger tonehole.) On the other hand Wink, if you tape only the right thumbhole, you can play do, re, mi, fa, and Fa# (fi?) with just your left hand.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:15:39 pm by Karl » Logged
Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »

I was enchanted by the pipe and tabor and I tought about getting a pipe for a while. I quit the idea, I can't even IMAGINE how noise can made those things. The tabor alone, "speaks" by itselfs, but the pipe is for sure even louder. Extended ranges of notes with only three finger holes are played by over blowing. And over-over blowing. And over.

It's a pity, because I love percussions, but it's not for me. Not until I live in this big town!

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:31 pm »

It's a pity, because I love percussions, but it's not for me. Not until I live in this big town!

Spatolo, after I finish with the OcBox, I'll design you a P&T Box for your pipe and tabor.  (Of course, the design process for your P&T Box would be vey expensive.  In fact, would you mind sending me a check for about $5,000 US to cover prototyping costs? Wink)

Amiable

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »

Hmm.  Don't think the Pipe-and-Tabor is portable enough for me... though a taped C-MO is an idea to start (abit suspicious looking for a prop).  I looked up ocarinas online, and someone made a FIMO ocarina with 4-holes (English fingering).  I'll have to look into that.

onewhohopes

Kayaking!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:12:28 am »

Have you considered a harmonica?  I couldn't think of a cheaper instrument (like $5 USD for a cheap hohner key of C).  You would also get two octaves, and you could play simple chords. And, if you don't mind looking cheesy, you could get one of those harmonica holders that guitarists use and you could have both hands.  Grin

Also, if you're willing to spend a little more money, you could get a chromatic harmonica. I'm not sure how easy it would be to operate the slider one-handed, but I'm sure it's possible.

I used to have an Hohner Chrometta 8 that I got for Christmas one year.  I played it every once in a while, but I've never been interested in the style of music that best suits the harmonica.  This model is for beginners, and I think it has metal reeds that you don't have to maintain like the real thing. It still sounds good, though.  And no matter how good you get with it, you will still suck when you play it.   Wink  (hopefully you got my lame joke, otherwise that sounds quite rude)

The Chrometta 8 is only 70 dollars, which is very reasonable for chromatics as I understand.  I found one on ebay for $45 USD, but the seller is in Bulgaria, and their basic shipping is $11, plus it is used.

Here's a link to a website that sells it:
http://www.music123.com/Hohner-250-32-Chrometta-8-Harmonica-420587-i1133655.Music123

Wow, I'm having some serious cravings for harmonica right now...

-Tom

Vivu Esperanto!
Spatolo

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »

Very interesting, but that's loud and I don't think that one can play it into an oc-in-the-box :-(

onewhohopes

Kayaking!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:51:42 am »

Very interesting, but that's loud and I don't think that one can play it into an oc-in-the-box :-(

Yes, a harmonica would be difficult to play in an OcBox, because you have to use your tongue to cover some of the holes. (Maybe if you were that guy from the band Kiss with the very long tongue)
I don't think you would really need a HarmBox  Grin (sounds dangerous...) to quiet a harmonica.  I would say that my harmonica is at most 1/2 as loud as my ocarina.  I even remember playing one inside a Greyhound-style bus during a school trip many years ago without getting in trouble (and I was an annoying little 10-year-old  Wink ).  You can really blow soft and still get a good sound, too.

-Tom

Vivu Esperanto!
Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:31 am »

Oh. This is very interesting. Probably I'll look for one then.

Amiable

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:02:23 pm »

Have you considered a harmonica?  I couldn't think of a cheaper instrument (like $5 USD for a cheap hohner key of C).  You would also get two octaves, and you could play simple chords. And, if you don't mind looking cheesy, you could get one of those harmonica holders that guitarists use and you could have both hands.  Grin

Also, if you're willing to spend a little more money, you could get a chromatic harmonica. I'm not sure how easy it would be to operate the slider one-handed, but I'm sure it's possible.

I used to have an Hohner Chrometta 8 that I got for Christmas one year.  I played it every once in a while, but I've never been interested in the style of music that best suits the harmonica.  This model is for beginners, and I think it has metal reeds that you don't have to maintain like the real thing. It still sounds good, though.  And no matter how good you get with it, you will still suck when you play it.   Wink  (hopefully you got my lame joke, otherwise that sounds quite rude)

The Chrometta 8 is only 70 dollars, which is very reasonable for chromatics as I understand.  I found one on ebay for $45 USD, but the seller is in Bulgaria, and their basic shipping is $11, plus it is used.

Here's a link to a website that sells it:
http://www.music123.com/Hohner-250-32-Chrometta-8-Harmonica-420587-i1133655.Music123

Hmm.  I'll *think* about it... harmonica (to me) sounds like little animals cruelly tortured, and good harmonica players make it sound like little animals tortured skilfully Wink  Right now I'm "scaffolding" for this with a xun (a clay-fired instrument with three holes) - can't play any melody with the few tones, but hey, I suspect I won't ever be able to play masterfully with one hand while being masterful with the other one!

Spatolo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »

Hmm.  I'll *think* about it... harmonica (to me) sounds like little animals cruelly tortured, and good harmonica players make it sound like little animals tortured skilfully Wink

ROTFL

I definitely like the sound of the harmonica, or at least of most of them (after all, there are many kinds of torture instrument in that family).

onewhohopes

Kayaking!

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 06:31:05 pm »

Yes, I agree about the sound.  I got into the harmonica as a "hey I am getting tired of guitar and want something I can take with me everywhere and make music," but I never could acquire a taste for the sound.  The metal reed ones do sound bad on certain notes, but for the most part they are OK.  I never tried the more professional kind. 
I don't know if anyone here has ever watched Survivorman on the Discovery channel, but he plays hauntingly well when he is in the middle of nowhere all alone.

I think the harmonica has a much steeper learning curve than the ocarina, and it is only a diatonic instrument.  But, the harmonica is to American culture as the tin whistle is to Irish culture (maybe less so), so I'll probably be picking it up here again sometime.  The ocarina definitely inspires one to learn more traditional instruments and music. 

-Tom

Vivu Esperanto!
Docjazz4

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:38:06 pm »

Harmony Ocarinas are designed to play a full octave with each hand. If you get one of those, you could just ignore the right side, but you'll have to balance the ocarina somehow when you play the high Do (all fingers off).

Ichthus
Active Newbie

We can find music everywhere, even in the silence

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 03:24:25 am »

I don't know if you still need to know of one handed instruments, but a panflute is easy and usually cheap!
Hope I helped Smiley

clarinetcat

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:29 am »

Hey all...

"Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

- Hector Berlioz
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: