Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 07, 2020, 06:56:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting the mental clinic (Not what you think! lol.)  (Read 13662 times)
Wake of Eden
Active Newbie

« on: May 13, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »

I have had someone on my mind for the past month or so, because he has been going through some pretty hard things in life - Much more than I could ever bear. I heard he was in the hospital because he tried something, and it made me feel very sad for him. So I felt impressed upon my hear to go and visit him to try and show him some support and love, to try and encourage him some. Well, he was very surprised to see me! We had never been close, but we've known each other all our lives. After encouraging him and showing him some support, he asked what the thing was around my neck. So I told him it was an Ocarina (my poly G). He asked for me to play something but I was nervous that I might disturb someone because I was in the mental clinic after all haha. But I played a small tune and he really liked it!

A few minutes later, someone (looked to in his early 20's) sat down with us in the lounge area, and he asked me the same thing. So I decided I'd just go ahead a play a little something. I played a little of I Have A Bonnet Trimmed With Blue and Concerning Hobbits. Every stopped and listening as I played, and as I finished they all responded with positive things! The younger guy asked me if I knew the "Namek song" haha but I said I didn't. Haha I found it funny because I was in the mental clinic after all, and that guy looked like he was as high as a kite on meds or something, but he couldn't stop talking about the Ocarina and asked me if it was alright if he got one. I smiled and said of course! I almost gave him mine (I had a warmstone G on the way, which I have now Cheesy), but I didn't think It'd be a good idea to give a random person a gift in the mental clinic lol.

I just thought that was kind of neat, and that's my story haha. Smiley

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:10 pm »

That's a great story.

When people see these gadgets hanging around your neck, and then you make music for them, it's magic!  They don't expect it.  It's hard for them to understand how that little doohicky can make all that music.  If you walked into the hospital carrying a trombone, it would be a little different.

Ubizmo

Cliff

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:17:11 pm »

That's a wonderful story Scott... on a couple of different levels.

Thanks for sharing.

-Cliff

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:19:29 pm by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Wake of Eden
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:52:14 pm »

That's a great story.

When people see these gadgets hanging around your neck, and then you make music for them, it's magic!  They don't expect it.  It's hard for them to understand how that little doohicky can make all that music.  If you walked into the hospital carrying a trombone, it would be a little different.

Ubizmo
Yeah it definitely awed some people there Smiley .. It makes me want to carry like 5 at a time with me to give them out! haha. Every who asks about it seems to want one. Don't blame them either! Tongue

That's a wonderful story Scott... on a couple of different levels.

Thanks for sharing.

-Cliff
Thank you! Smiley

Karl B

Ocarina Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:08 am »

Great story. 

I'd say you were in the right place at the right time.  No accident either.  Don't forget to play those praise and worship songs as well.

Karl B

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."   --Thomas Jefferson
insane kangaroo
Active Newbie

Going crazy, one day at a time

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:54:07 am »

I work at a mental health clinic... we don't have a psych ward though, people come here to see clinicians and the doctor.

Undecided I've not played my ocarina for anyone here.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:19:49 am »

Very nice thing to do, going outside of your comfort zone to encourage someone!

Wake of Eden
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:01 am »

Great story. 

I'd say you were in the right place at the right time.  No accident either.  Don't forget to play those praise and worship songs as well.

Karl B
I probably would have played a few more if I had known for sure I wouldn't be a disturbance. The next time I go I'm bringing my Warmstone G and I'll ask the nurse's if it would be alright. Tongue .. As for praise and worship songs, the music director from my church said she wants me to start playing that during song service as well! Cheesy

I work at a mental health clinic... we don't have a psych ward though, people come here to see clinicians and the doctor.

Undecided I've not played my ocarina for anyone here.
Haha don't take offense to this, but I find it funny that you work at a mental health clinic and your username is Insane Kangaroo. Tongue

Very nice thing to do, going outside of your comfort zone to encourage someone!
Thanks! I'm usually kind of shy to do stuff like that, so I had to get my sister and her husband to pray for me before going! haha.

AzKiteMan

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 10:28:22 pm »

That's a great story.

Ubizmo

Exactly! That's what made the magic of the ocarina. No one expects the crisp, upbeat sound to cut the silence and play a melody, all with this little, whachamacallit(Ocarina xP). It is like a suspenseful movie, but not scary and musical.

(on topic) That sounds like an interesting event! Sarasota doesn't have many kind people like that. Most here are grouches.

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
Ichthus
Active Newbie

We can find music everywhere, even in the silence

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:35 am »

In a sense, ocarinas kept me out of a mental hospital... When I got sad at night and wanted to do certain things no Christian should(cut, bite, scratch, ect.) I would play my bass transverse. The whole purpose for me getting a MO was so I wouldn't break my clays. I would have panic attacks if I didn't have someway to play music at all times... Thats really is a great story!!! ^.^ 

FredDooolie

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »

but I didn't think It'd be a good idea to give a random person a gift in the mental clinic lol.

Yeah, it could be used as a head-bonker or the cord used as a gaurotte. Too bad. A MO might be just what some of those people need. Maybe Karl will design a rubber one.* Hard enough to resonate but not hard enough to crack a skull.

Ya know, they would make nice gifts for the "Specially-Abled". If I was stuck in a wheelchair or was "special" in some way I'd sure like a pocket flute! Maybe when I make my first million dollars I'll order a few hundred MOs and travel to hospitals and such.

* Imagine what Ubizmo could do with something like that. I mean all the musical effects and such.

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Bubble-N-Squeak
Active Newbie

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:15:07 am »

That's a positive story. I'd say, go for it - people in general like music, and being able tyo make music from a little thingee hanging around your neck ... I once played my ocarina after getting bored out of my skull by a haphazardly mediocre Christmas production, and one of my nephews immediately wanted one - so i knew what I could safely get him for Christmas.

maki

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »

Great story.
I sometimes reflect that music can be very positive for mental health.
Further, that making your own music can actually connect humans to the 'Devine' (however you would define that).
Our culture could use a great many more ocarinas.
Thanks for sharing your story Wake of Eden.

Freedom's the answer, what's the question?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/
Lazersnail
Active Newbie

Over 9,000? Not THAT outrageous...

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:51:14 am »

Haha, the Namek Song is a Dragonball Z referance. The planet Namek is home to green aliens! Cheesy

I belive that music holds magick in every note.
Scott Maness

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:09 am »

Great Story

It is amazing how something so small can brighten someone's day.

If you walked into the hospital carrying a trombone, it would be a little different.

If you were carrying a trombone in, you might have one arm longer than the other.   Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: