Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 18, 2021, 04:33:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding backtrack to line up in the time line on video editing program?  (Read 3901 times)
kumpy
Active Newbie

« on: July 11, 2009, 04:37:17 am »

This is what I do:

I record video using a cheap camcorder.  I separately record audio of myself playing on my laptop with the Samson CO1U.  I also listen to the backtrack via headphones. 

This is my problem:

I cannot get all 3 in sync with each other in the timeline.  I currently use AVS Video Editor 4, but I can learn to use another program.  I know some of you use WMM.  Is it good? 

I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and buy myself a higher end video camera with a plug in for microphone.  Then I would have to buy another microphone because the Samson C01U is USB.

I feel as though my ability to make good videos is being limited to using the standard built-in mic of the camcorder.

Are there other options???  HELP!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

This is what I do:

I record video using a cheap camcorder.  I separately record audio of myself playing on my laptop with the Samson CO1U.  I also listen to the backtrack via headphones. 

This is my problem:

I cannot get all 3 in sync with each other in the timeline.  I currently use AVS Video Editor 4, but I can learn to use another program.  I know some of you use WMM.  Is it good? 

I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and buy myself a higher end video camera with a plug in for microphone.  Then I would have to buy another microphone because the Samson C01U is USB.

I feel as though my ability to make good videos is being limited to using the standard built-in mic of the camcorder.

Are there other options???  HELP!

So, if I understand the way you're doing it now, you use your laptop to record the audio and playback the backing track, and at the same time you use your camcorder to record video and audio.  Right?

Do you use Audacity to record, or do you use separate programs for playing the backtrack and recording?  If you're using separate programs, my first suggestion is to use Audacity for both.  This reduces the processing load on your laptop.  One program is less overhead than two.  If you have too many programs running at once, your laptop can't keep up and you'll get lag pockets.  I've had a lot of experience with this!

I use WMM, and it works fine.  I guess all video editing software has a learning curve, but I'm used to it by now.

Once I've created the recording of the sound and saved it as an mp3, I open WMM and first import the video.  I then import the audio mp3 and add it to the timeline.  Of course, the two will be wildly out of sync.  Generally the video track has a lot more junk at the beginning, so the mp3 audio of me playing starts a lot sooner.  So I then just start trimming the video track, from the beginning.  The first snip is a big one, just to get somewhere close to sync, but the mp3 track still comes in a second or so earlier.  Then I "zoom" the editor, so that each snip is much smaller.  Then I take smaller snips and listen, until eventually the audio from the camcorder and the mp3 audio are exactly in sync.  It takes a few minutes to do this, and I keep saving as I go, in case WMM decides to crash.  When I have them in sync, I mute the camcorder audio and it's done (and of course I trim the junk from the end too).

I haven't used the AVS editor, but I'd imagine it allows you to do these same steps.  They seem like pretty basic editor functionality.

The step of actually creating the sound track is more complicated for me, because my laptop doesn't like USB audio input, so I have to record onto a separate digital recorder, but if your USB mic works well, you shouldn't need to do this.  Of course, an advantage of a separate digital recorder is the possibility of recording outdoors without having to take your laptop with you.

Ubizmo

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: