Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:23:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A good tune to play  (Read 6485 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: July 20, 2009, 11:46:37 pm »

I have been having fun playing the "Colonel Bogey March."  It's a perfect tune for the MOG, and it always gets people's attention.  If you don't recognize the name, you may recognize the tune from the wonderful 1957 film "Bridge on the River Kwai"--even if you haven't seen the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWRlTgEB5Q

And for the younger people here who never heard of that film, do yourself a favor and watch it.  There aren't too many films from 1957 that hold up well, but this one definitely does.  Heck, I was only 4 years old when it came out, so I didn't watch it until many years later anyway.  It's an absolute classic.  That tune has become part of cultural consciousness, because of that movie.  Many people know the tune who don't know its name or even that it was in that movie.

For some reason, it popped into my head over the weekend, and I started playing it while I was in the park.  People smiled, and some applauded, and many started whistling it, which is hard to resist.

Ubizmo

Twist

"Ars celare verum"

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:40:11 am »

Ubizmo,

This is yet another great song that I will add to my play list. Your are full of good ideas as usual.

Twist

Twist
"Ars celare verum"
PonderWolf

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:57:58 pm »

Hmm, gonna have fun trying to pick out the notes for this one. Gotta love the classics though.

ProfFiendish
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:13 pm »

If you're looking for other marches, the Liberty Bell March by Sousa (commonly recognized as the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme) is very fun to play on MOs. It requires a fipple bend down to low A, but it's easy to play otherwise.

I'll have to learn the Colonel Bogey, as it's a nice march.

ubizmo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:58:36 pm »

Good find! Liberty Bell is fun! I just played through it and managed to hit the low A. This got me thinking about more marches. A lot seem to go out of range in the soli, but they're still fun to try. Colonel Bogey is perfect, though.

Ubizmo

MillerITA
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:01 am »

Thanks !
I'm perpetually in search of funny tunes like this....
Just think that yesterday I was playing this:

"Come along and sing a song
And join the jamboree
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

Does anyone remember it ?  Wink

Khet
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:27 am »

Going to have to find the scores for this soon as my MO arrived. I love this movie, can't believe I never thought of the march for an Ocarina! (And yes, I'm only 19. I like to think of myself as... culturally wise)

jtungyep
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:56 pm »

The Adagio from Mozart's clarinet concerto is nice to play when you're in a reflective mood. Good one for practising your vibrato because it's slow. I play it in Fmajor and use just the first two sections. If anyone wants it I'll make and post an ABC file here.

Also the Hawaiian/childrens' song 'My Boat is sailing' is a nice walking song! Played in Gmajor it starts on the low B. It's a good melody to play when you have an echoic environment because the many leaps of sixths add a bit of harmony!

'My Lagan Love' is another wistful Irish song and one of my favourites. It uses almost the entire range of the MO, and I play it in D (sort of mixolydian mode I think) the first four notes being A B C D.

Cheers,
John

ubizmo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:29 pm »

'My Lagan Love' is another wistful Irish song and one of my favourites. It uses almost the entire range of the MO, and I play it in D (sort of mixolydian mode I think) the first four notes being A B C D.

Cheers,
John

This is one I'd like to play, but I don't know it well enough yet to play by ear, and the ABC at thesession.org seems a bit off.  Do you have ABC for it?

Ubizmo

jtungyep
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 01:47:25 pm »

Hi Ubizmo,
I play 'My Lagan Love' by ear based on versions by Charlotte Church, Dusty Springfield and Kate Bush. I think Dusty's is the version I mainly follow. I will have a go at transcribing it (the way I play it) in ABC format. Could take me a little time 'cause I'm slow with writing out ornamentation.
Cheers,
john

jtungyep
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:47:17 pm »

Hey Ubizmo,
Here's "My Lagan Love" transcribed pretty much how I play it.. Grace notes don't seem to work as expected on my ABC editor so I had to do some funny quintuplets..
Cheers,
John

X:1
T:My Lagan Love
C:Ulster Tune
M:3/4
L:1/8
R:lament
K:D Mixolydian
A Bc|d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3A Bc (d/8c/8B/8 c/8d/8)|
d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3||D FG|B2A2 (3A/2B/2A/2 G/2=F/2|G3G Bc|
d3A (3B/2A/2B/2 ^c/2d/2|d3=f dc|d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3||

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:14:27 pm by jtungyep » Logged
jtungyep
Active Newbie

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 02:51:47 pm »

Oh, and here's the Mozart because I did it to try to practise my ABC notation.

T:Adagio from Clarinet Concerto
C:Mozart
K:F
C2F3A|AGF4|C3F Ac|cBA4|
G3c Ac|G3c DA|C3E D>C|C6:|
A3G FE|D (d d)cBA|B3A GF|E (e e)dc=B|
c3B AG|FB B3A|[1A/2G/2B/2G/2 F2 A/2GF/2|F6:|[2G/2d/2B/2G/2 F2 A/2GF/2|F6||

ubizmo

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 03:51:34 pm »

Hey Ubizmo,
Here's "My Lagan Love" transcribed pretty much how I play it.. Grace notes don't seem to work as expected on my ABC editor so I had to do some funny quintuplets..
Cheers,
John

T:My Lagan Love
C:Ulster Tune
K:D Mixolydian
A Bc|d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3A Bc ((3d/8c/8B/8 c/8d/8)|
d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3||D FG|B2A2 (3A/4B/4A/4 G/4=F/4|G3G Bc|
d3A (3B/4A/4B/4 ^c/4d/4|d3=f dc|d3A (3G/2A/2G/2 F/2D/2|C3D FG/2A/2|G3F DD|D3||

Thanks!  I'll work on that for a while; it's a beautiful piece of music.

Ubizmo

BeRightBart
Active Newbie

You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 08:21:53 pm »

i'll try the song too. But i have to say: the movie doesn't look interesting (Sorry ubizmo...) I guess i'm too young to appriciate it Tongue

Ichthus
Active Newbie

We can find music everywhere, even in the silence

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 12:48:26 am »

I learned it! My papa was really happy to hear a song I played he actually knew other than Stairway to Heaven and Carry on My Wayward Son.

Thanks Ubi!

Taylor

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: