Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 09, 2020, 11:02:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning your ocarina  (Read 14176 times)
Ichthus
Active Newbie

We can find music everywhere, even in the silence

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »

I fill my cheeks with water and blow it through! I use a whittled down toothpick if there is food or something else in the mouthpiece or when the hole start looking a little dust(lotsa sand in my home state SC!). The postcard thing works a lot better for the mouthpiece though ;P

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 11:45:01 pm »

It was the warmstone I was speaking of when I said I wash mine 2 or 3 times a week.  I hardly ever play the poly.  And I clear the windway with a piece of folded paper, too.

As a sax player, I'm well aware how quickly a layer of schmutz can accumulate on the mouthpiece.  On the sax it doesn't affect the sound much, if at all, but the windway of an ocarina--especially a MO--is built to tolerances of thousandths of an inch.  So it makes sense to keep it clear, and it's very simple to do.  Sometimes I don't use soapy water; I just rinse it out.  I think we sometimes tend to underestimate how carefully engineered the MO is.  It looks like this little whistle, after all.  But the more I play it, the more the I appreciate how painstakingly designed it is.  The windway, or flue, is a critical component, and even a small amount of dust or debris can affect the sound.  This is true of any ocarina, but it's a strength of the MO that it can be so readily and thoroughly cleaned.

Ubizmo

Twist

"Ars celare verum"

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 07:47:40 am »

Ubizmo / Ubi-wan,

Do you normally polish the windway on your warmstone and then wash in soapy water or the reverse?

I am assuming that dish soap like Dawn does the trick.

I have not had the heart to wash my warmstone yet but I did the polys that other night. Once washed and spun dry on their neck cord I left them on their sides to dry until morning. It worked great.

Twist

Twist
"Ars celare verum"
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 11:27:26 am »

I usually wash first, then polish. I don't always do both. Dawn is fine. I sometimes use Windex, then rinse. It leaves the warmstone feeling very polished. Remember this material is used for making kitchen counter tops. What might you use to clean them? I probably clean mine more than I have to, but then I probably get it dirtier than most, too. It's always knocking about with me, on the neck strap, in a pocket, on the car set (often knocked to the floor), and so on. It has been in the water of the Atlantic Ocean with me, rained on countless times, fallen from a step ladder, and dropped in beach sand. So I'm in the habit of cleaning it often. Pockets are probably the worst, since lint easily gets in the windway.

Ubizmo

Twist

"Ars celare verum"

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »

Ubizmo / Ubi-wan,

I keep mine with me most of ther time as well. I will give the warmstone a wash soon.I am still perfecting the paper size for polishing but I am getting better. Luckily I am getting better at playing as well. Not too many songs memorized but I can read music and even if I have to read the song it is fine with me.

Have a good Sunday,

Twist

Twist
"Ars celare verum"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: