Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 04:20:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Modified" Poly G? $100? The OcToBrass  (Read 5601 times)
kingocarina

« on: August 24, 2009, 07:28:06 am »

yay I registered.

I was surfing around and stumbled upon this little number

http://cgi.ebay.com/French-Horn-OcToBrass-with-a-Kelly-MDC-Mouthpiece_W0QQitemZ160356394742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item2555fc66f6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I don't even know what to say..... There's even an official site.

http://www.octobrass.com/home.cfm

Can anybody shed some light on this? Does anybody like this product? Does anybody feel like I do (in that "ruined" would be a more fitting description for a previously beautiful instrument)?

Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:38:01 am »

That is official and made with the help (or at least approvation) of the Mountain Ocarina makers.

Why ruin of an instrument? Smiley

Kissaki

"I put the 'K' in "Kwality""

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »

Wow, for some reason, I laughed when I saw this. Sorry, but it just looks and sounds really goofy to me.  Lips sealed

SamTASTIC!
Active Newbie

We will be victorious!

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

This looks crazy!  I want one just for the wacky factor.  Plus I've always wanted to own an ocarina that requires a trumpet embouchure...  Roll Eyes

EDIT: Listened to some sound samples... Now I agree with kingocarina: they ruined the ocs.  Buzzing them sounds nastys.  Tongue

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:56:39 am by SamTASTIC! » Logged

Caesar, Caesar!  Caesar eam videt.  Caesar, cape eam!
poetchick4Jesus
Active Newbie

Singer of random songs, speaker of random accents

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »

That sounds like a dying duck.  Roll Eyes

Words add meaning to life... dare to be sesquipedalian.
alejandro
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »

That sounds like a dying duck.  Roll Eyes

I thought the ducks were uhm... doing something other than dying  Grin

Lyn D
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »

Shocked  YUCK.

Koudi

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »

OcToBrass is a very serious and very professional product, offering some great possibilities for brass players. I've had fun reading your comments above!   Cheesy  From the viewpoint of an ocarina player, OcToBrass is indeed a bit laughable! However, to appreciate OcToBrass, you have to understand it from the viewpoint of a brass musician. OcToBrass is not supposed to sound good (yes, it does sound awful!), nor is it some wacky toy for weirdos. It's purpose is solely to allow brass musicians who are out away from home on business trips to maintain the strength of their embouchure by buzzing the OcToBrass. It takes the unbearable boredom out of buzzing mindlessly through an unattached brass mouthpiece in motel room. For crying out loud, buzzing a brass instrument mouthpiece for 10 minutes is more than enough to land a bull moose in the infirmary with full straight jacket and helmet. Now, with OcToBrass, Bullwinkle not only keeps his sanity but he actually thinks the sound is pretty good by comparison, and playing melodies turns those monotonous buzzing hours into blissful Celtic memories. Who knows, maybe the OcToBrass will even give the ocarina world a convert now and then!

As a side comment, OcToBrass also highlights the durability of the Mountain Ocarinas. ZeldaToBrass?... I don't think so!

black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:02:39 pm »

I'm with Koudi - this looks like a great tool for horn players.

Calm yourselves, ocarina purists - these folks can buzz in private, and then play the ocarina in normal fashion - maybe with you!

I enjoyed hearing the fellow on video say that in practicing with this, a few minutes have gone by, and he's really had a good time!  That's what it's all about.

Chelsea B
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31:12 pm »

LMAO! that's too funny. I love the buzz. Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: